It's time

Bonj87

my SS does NOT get 425 miles to the tank. in fact the DIC shows about 340.. how do you squeeze 425 out??

the point to getting a vehicle that burns less gas is to not pay more money each month. getting a beater that i have to also finance defeats that purpose. no, i dont have that much extra cash laying around to afford 420 a month for the SS, 190 a month for another car, etc etc

i even thought about getting the 4x4 regular gas avalanche.

my SS can get 18 in the city driving nicely, and 13 to 17 on the highway.. if im on a downgrade road, my DIC will show 20 or more, but in chicago, you dont drive downhill alot. my i55 to i355 (and reverse coming home) has me sit in a alot of bumper to bumper traffic. the SS makes that comfortable, but then the stop and go traffic makes me burn more.

tell me how to squeeze 425 miles to a tank!

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what are your mods? with my current mods I get 20-22mpg highway on a road trip........I drove home approx. 250 miles from Carlisle PA at an average of 75mph and only used 1/2 tank, and I went through downtown Manhattan on the way home too! The DIC was averaging about 21mpg..........:chevy:

K&N intake, frank tune, autometer gagues. and a flowmaster cat back

msd wires

thats aboot it

my catback is a bit old and worn. i got it used. id like to get a new one.. but i got other bills to take care of. actually id like to get headers to tip replacments, but.. pfft headers cost way too much

I can't get better than 12.3mpg and my only mods on the truck now is a K&N intake and a shitty tune getting rid of my speed limiter. I drove from Springfield, Mo-Chikacha(sp?) Oklahoma and cruise set down I-44 i hovered@13... My SS never has got good gas milage and 99% of my milage is highway living out in the sticks.

my SS does NOT get 425 miles to the tank. in fact the DIC shows about 340.. how do you squeeze 425 out??

the point to getting a vehicle that burns less gas is to not pay more money each month. getting a beater that i have to also finance defeats that purpose. no, i dont have that much extra cash laying around to afford 420 a month for the SS, 190 a month for another car, etc etc

i even thought about getting the 4x4 regular gas avalanche.

my SS can get 18 in the city driving nicely, and 13 to 17 on the highway.. if im on a downgrade road, my DIC will show 20 or more, but in chicago, you dont drive downhill alot. my i55 to i355 (and reverse coming home) has me sit in a alot of bumper to bumper traffic. the SS makes that comfortable, but then the stop and go traffic makes me burn more.

tell me how to squeeze 425 miles to a tank!

guess you are getting more like 14mpg overall, and what i ment was your commute was 425 mi per week and it would take you 26 to 30 gallons of gas to make your commute, do the math before you sell, did this and its nice having the car around, same situation myself but a little longer commute.

I say do what ever is more comfortable for you financially. No point going broke to please others. If you need the better gas milage, go that route. If you can handle the milage your SS gets, but want better milage talk to a tuner about a tune that will get you better milage. It was discussed in a gas milage thread when I first joined the forums about people tuning their SSs and getting 20+mpg. I fill up every other day driving to therapy everyday. I had to fill up twice today going to therapy, getting my tags renewed and running errands. Gets expensive after a while.

i want the AFM and the E85 ability..well, just cuz.. plus the 5.3 will burn less gas.

good luck in what ever you do, i would buy a beater myself but i only have to drive the SS 2 days a week to work and back. the other 5 days i have the wrecker i drive at work to use..

as for E85, we have to use it here in CA. it's already in the gas we get :banghead: i lost over 1.5 mpg because of it. I'm all for clean air and all, but don't force something on me that will give me LESS mpg and cost me MORE to buy, just so some fat F**KS can line there pockets... :mad::rant:

BTW- here is the scoop on E85

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E_85

:seeya:

Buy a duramax. You can get power out of it and better mileage. All I hear about E85 is worse mileage and higher cost which shouldn't be. It is cheaper to make and still costs more for now.

i have an '06 E85 5.3, tuned, 4.10's, lt headers, cai, 218/224 .588 .588 113+4 cam, exhaust and nitrous and i average 20mpg. that's a mix of city and highway driving. can't beat it.. :thumbs:

i really only drive it on the weekends because i have a company truck for my daily driver, but i say go for it!

Edited by xlr82sxs (see edit history)

i may do just that.. should i sell the SS outright, or trade it in? hmmmmm

sell it outright.. the dealers won't give you near what you think you should get for it.

you'll be happier to get what you want for it, then what the dealership will offer you.