Tranny Flush

I have a tranny flush scheduled for next Tuesday on my truck. I did a search on Dexron VI and saw that many on this site thought it was a better fluid to use in our trucks. Also, it appeared that many think it is not a good idea to go with synthetic. I plan to ask for the Dexron VI if they have it available. Any different opinions? Thanks.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

VI is synthetic. According to the manual the first scheduled service for my trans is 50,000 miles. You can buy it from the dealer for like 7 bucks a quart. You could get them down to like 6 bucks if you ask nicely.

I would only advise synthetic ATF when the truck is dedicated tow vehicle or aftermarket converter (2800-rpm and over); on the stock converter you will not get any measurable advantages IMO. And that stuff is not cheap.

Mr. P.

I have a tranny flush scheduled for next Tuesday on my truck. I did a search on Dexron VI and saw that many on this site thought it was a better fluid to use in our trucks. Also, it appeared that many think it is not a good idea to go with synthetic. I plan to ask for the Dexron VI if they have it available. Any different opinions? Thanks.

that would be your best bet to run dexron VI :thumbs:

I would only advise synthetic ATF when the truck is dedicated tow vehicle or aftermarket converter (2800-rpm and over); on the stock converter you will not get any measurable advantages IMO. And that stuff is not cheap.

Mr. P.

Mr p is saying the same thing my tran guy told me a few weeks ago, he is doing a buildup on my tran right now with a 2800 converter, to hold my mp122hh

i hate synthetic, and had nothing but bad luck with it, in many 4L60/65e trannies. dex 6 is cheaper and IMO shifts firmer than the (free) royal purple fluid i used to use.

also, remember: synthetic fluid kills yank converters, and voids their warranty

Mr p is saying the same thing my tran guy told me a few weeks ago, he is doing a buildup on my tran right now with a 2800 converter, to hold my mp122hh

good luck with that high stall and instant torque lol.... prepare to be never in control of your truck in first gear..... ever :D

good luck with that high stall and instant torque lol.... prepare to be never in control of your truck in first gear..... ever :D

:withstupid: WOOHOOOO :driving:

Yeah synthetic ATF shifts a bit softer than Dexron-III and (what I hear) Dexron-VI; the only reason that I run synthetic ATF is extended service intervals (because of my 2800-RPM converter); with synthetic ATF I get double the mileage between changes and I don't know about you guys but I hate ATF in my hair! If I used just Dex-III with my converter I would probably be changing fluid every 8-months or so. To compensate for the softer shifts I tweaked the transmission shift kit calibration, so this trans is stuck with Raptor Blood from now on.

Mr. P.

May I have one clarification? One response indicates that Dexron VI is, in fact, synthetic. Others seem to contradict that. So... Is Dexron VI synthetic, or is it just an improvement over Dexron III? Thanks.

May I have one clarification? One response indicates that Dexron VI is, in fact, synthetic. Others seem to contradict that. So... Is Dexron VI synthetic, or is it just an improvement over Dexron III? Thanks.

My understanding is that Dex-6 is synthetic, however reports from users say that shift feel with Dex-6 is just the same as if using Dex-3, and the maker says that Dex-6 is safe to use in place of Dex-3 (but not vice-versa). This is quite a feat as Dex-6 is much thinner than Dex-3 so you will see a tad improvement in mileage during cold vehicle operation.

Mr. P.

Edited by Mr. P. (see edit history)

My understanding is that Dex-6 is synthetic, however reports from users say that shift feel with Dex-6 is just the same as if using Dex-3, and the maker says that Dex-6 is safe to use in place of Dex-3 (but not vice-versa).

Mr. P.

that is exactly what gm and my transmission guy told me mr. p. dex VI is indeed synthetic and is compatible with older vehicles that required III but not vice versa.

I switched to amsoil last service only because i like the longer interval period. but be careful, the older amsoil is not compatible with the new dex VI. I have not noticed any shift differences between the two.