Steer me in the right direction.

454MATT

Ok so i just finished installing my McGaughy's lowering kit and my final measurements are 33 inches up front and 34 5/8 inches in the rear. Id like to lower the rear about another inch to try and even things out. Has anybody installed the front leaf mount in the top hole of the hangar to gain another inch or so? I'm seriously considering doing this. In zippy's how to post he said to use the lower hole, Im wondering if there was any particular reason for this. Oh and i measured the rear for the Nitro drop 2's that i bought and they are too short.. :banghead: Should i order Edelbrock IAS 34010's or the Nitro Actives? I am installing the Beltech nitro drop 2's in the front since i already have them.

Matt

I did the same thing you did and later moved the upper spring eye to the upper hole in the hanger, as I recall it dropped the rear of the truck 3/4" :confused: but it will raise the pinion angle more.

Mr. P.

Ok so i just finished installing my McGaughy's lowering kit and my final measurements are 33 inches up front and 34 5/8 inches in the rear. Id like to lower the rear about another inch to try and even things out. Has anybody installed the front leaf mount in the top hole of the hangar to gain another inch or so? I'm seriously considering doing this. In zippy's how to post he said to use the lower hole, Im wondering if there was any particular reason for this. Oh and i measured the rear for the Nitro drop 2's that i bought and they are too short.. :banghead: Should i order Edelbrock IAS 34010's or the Nitro Actives? I am installing the Beltech nitro drop 2's in the front since i already have them.

Matt

I don't know why companies give you the wrong part numbers for the rear shocks. Belltech's app guide gave me the # for the nitro drop 2's for the rear also and they were way too short but the shop installed them anyway :banghead: Rear was lower than the front. I had them remove them and they put on a normal shock because it's all they had. What are guys running in the back for a 2-3" drop? Shop put on some sensatrack shock on the back.

EDIT: I think 33" up front sounds pretty good. I'm at 32.5"(driver side) and 32 1/8"(passenger side) and I'm shooting for 33". I cranked the torsion bolts a few too many times so I'm slowly turning them back to get the right height. I've got the 2" Belltech drop spindles on the front.

Edited by SSThunder (see edit history)

Thanx Mr. P and i just realized that it was you that did the How To and not Zippy... sorry about that, it was very informative. I also installed the 6 degree shims from DJM. If i move to the other hole will i have any vibrations? And were you able to access the hardware with out removing the tank again?

Matt

I don't know why companies give you the wrong part numbers for the rear shocks. Belltech's app guide gave me the # for the nitro drop 2's for the rear also and they were way too short but the shop installed them anyway :banghead: Rear was lower than the front. I had them remove them and they put on a normal shock because it's all they had. What are guys running in the back for a 2-3" drop? Shop put on some sensatrack shock on the back.

Yeah i know, i'm pissed about it, by the time i pay shipping and duty and all the other fees to get them to canada they are super expensive and then don't even work. I also got the part numbers from the Beltech app guide. I'm thinking that if i move to the top hole on the hangars that maybe they will work. If not then i will either go with the Edelbrock IAS or the Nitro Actives because i think those are both proven to work by members on here..

Matt

Thanx Mr. P and i just realized that it was you that did the How To and not Zippy... sorry about that, it was very informative. I also installed the 6 degree shims from DJM. If i move to the other hole will i have any vibrations? And were you able to access the hardware with out removing the tank again?

Matt

Thanks - yeah I read through all the posts available at the time and several recommended using the lower spring-eye hole to prevent rear axle vibrations but that did not give the full drop. And I also had rear-end vibrations even on the lower hole :( I later moved my leaf spring to the upper hole, the driveline vibrations did not get that much worse. In the end my pinion was over 9-degrees positive, there are not shims that big so at the suggestion of a nationally regarded shop here in DFW I cut the rear spring pads off the axle tubes, reclocked the pinion downward, and rewelded; that helped a ton but there is still a vibration there. So I wish you better luck, if you get the alignment/vibration issue figured out please let me know how.

Yes I found it possible to chang-up the hanger without totally dropping the tank - support the tank on a floor jack with a 2-foot 1x6 board and un-do the 2 tank straps (remove both bolts, but you can leave the straps hanging), then lower the tank a couple inches and take a breaker bar (or other leverage tool) and pry the tank away from the frame rail, it will move enough so that you can snake your arm in there to hold a wrench on the bolts...

Mr. P.

Thanks - yeah I read through all the posts available at the time and several recommended using the lower spring-eye hole to prevent rear axle vibrations but that did not give the full drop. And I also had rear-end vibrations even on the lower hole :( I later moved my leaf spring to the upper hole, the driveline vibrations did not get that much worse. In the end my pinion was over 9-degrees positive, there are not shims that big so at the suggestion of a nationally regarded shop here in DFW I cut the rear spring pads off the axle tubes, reclocked the pinion downward, and rewelded; that helped a ton but there is still a vibration there. So I wish you better luck, if you get the alignment/vibration issue figured out please let me know how.

Yes I found it possible to chang-up the hanger without totally dropping the tank - support the tank on a floor jack with a 2-foot 1x6 board and un-do the 2 tank straps (remove both bolts, but you can leave the straps hanging), then lower the tank a couple inches and take a breaker bar (or other leverage tool) and pry the tank away from the frame rail, it will move enough so that you can snake your arm in there to hold a wrench on the bolts...

Mr. P.

Hhmmm, well thats discouraging. I have a slight vibration with it in the bottom hole and 6 degree shims. i hate vibrations and rattles so i don't want it to get worse. If i went with a drop leaf and the bottom hole would that be a better fix. My understanding is that a new leaf won't mess with the pinion angles. I don't have any experience with suspensions so this is all new to me, but i am fairly mechanically inclined.

The front looks great, although there is slight rubbing with the wheel turned. i just need to sort out the rear, the new rims and rubber go on next week!! :driving: