Playing DVDs in the Stock Navigation System...

Soo.. we tried to play three different DVDs in the new navigation system. (stock GM one) YES we were in Park.. and we kept getting Disc Read Error..... but the manual says that this truck will play DVDs on the Navigation display... help? How do we get it to work??? Its a total waste of money if its JUST the navigation.. :(

Nobody has any thoughts on this??? Ive already put in a call to Chevrolet customer care.. the dealership was unable (or unwilling) to exchange it back for my original radio... (I bought the navigation system when I bought the truck two weeks ago.. they installed the nav yesterday.. I DONT like it...)

Its a DVD ROM system, NOT a DVD video system. It is designed to play navigation DVDs and that is all. ALTHOUGH there are several companies out there that make an interface that allows you to add a DVD player so that you can view DVD Video on the screen, Hope this helps. I know its not the answer you want to hear, but it is what it is...

Its a DVD ROM system, NOT a DVD video system. It is designed to play navigation DVDs and that is all. ALTHOUGH there are several companies out there that make an interface that allows you to add a DVD player so that you can view DVD Video on the screen, Hope this helps. I know its not the answer you want to hear, but it is what it is...

Yup Yup, the navigation CDs are really DVDs (they have a TON of info on them), and the NAVI unit reads those disks, not actual movies. Like fast4popper said, there are a couple of kits out there that you can buy and install to push DVD movies to the navi screen... Short of a full blown aftermarket DVD player (which would've been wiser than going stock IMO), that's your best bet...

Edited by Rausche (see edit history)