Zippy Kit(s) 4 DD, Towing, Reliability + Some Performance

There's more to the Vette vs. Billet 2nd servo argument. The servo is what delivers clamping force, the more area that the fluid has to push against then the more multiplication of force you get and the harder the band is clamped to the drum. The Vette servo is a very good piece, I used one with the Transgo kit and an Alto wide band and that SOB grabbed 2nd so hard/brutal that the motor would lug - so don't write-off the vette servo as less-than-capable. The Billet servo (made by Fairbanks, aka Super Servo) not only has more apply area for 2nd but also has a little less area in the 3rd accumulator (because the backside of the servo doubles as the 3rd accumulator) and the shift into 3rd is *greatly* improved.

If you are on a budget or want a stock-feeling 2-3 shift then use the Vette servo; if you want a more 'sporty' shift both on the 1-2 and 2-3 then I highly recommend the Fairbanks billet 2nd servo - I wish I bought it the first time.

Mr. P.

Edited by Mr. P. (see edit history)

I need to ride in your truck, Steve, to see how it feels. lol. But, I'm NOW leaning towards a Super servo, billet OD servo, and the HD-2C kit. Yep. That'll do it. I'm not thinking about it anymore. :crackup: If I think anymore I'll only confuse myself.

PATC offers a Transgo stage II shift kit. Is this the HD-2C kit?

I need to ride in your truck, Steve, to see how it feels. lol. But, I'm NOW leaning towards a Super servo, billet OD servo, and the HD-2C kit. Yep. That'll do it. I'm not thinking about it anymore. :crackup: If I think anymore I'll only confuse myself.

PATC offers a Transgo stage II shift kit. Is this the HD-2C kit?

Pffftttt hell I'll let you drive it. Gotta get it all back together first.

Well you gotta decision to make, and that is how far you want to get into the transmission. The reason that I say so is because there is one little secret a lot of guys don't realize - when you speed-up the 4-2 and 3-2 downshifts via shift kit you will burn-up the 3-4 clutches, the reason why is because the OE design lets the 3-4 clutches release slowly and you will have a split second where you have the throttle to the floor and 2nd gear fully engaged while the 3-4 clutch piston is still bleeding off - the only fix for this is to completely gut the transmission and change the bleed orifice in the 3-4 apply piston; cheap to do but total hassle as the tranny has to be totally R&R'd.

Another issue - when upgrading the 2nd servo on the stock band you have to remember that the band anchors on the factory band are not really "robust" enough for a billet servo, with high pressure + billet servo it is possible (not probable, just possible) that the pin could rip the anchor right off the band. So if you are still using the OE band I say stick with the vette servo and don't worry, it's plenty strong on clamping power.

Good thing you said PATC, I need to order some more Raptor Blood. I have hell following their catalog, but what you are interested in is:

* #2 - GM Vette servo

* #3 - Sonnax 4th/OD servo

* #27 - Sonnax .490 pressure boost valve

* #18C - Sonnax accumulator valve train assy (specify 5200-lb AWD vehicle, "M" valve?)

* #32X - TransGo Stg-2 shift kit (HD-2C)

* #32VBP - TransGo valve body plate

* (not listed) get a new aluminum 2nd accumulator piston, they wear out and leak after 50K-miles and they're cheap

You are right, their #32 wake-up kit is just the billet servos + .490 valve for $200.

And don't worry about the labor big guy - I'll come over and help you with it :thumbs:

Mr. P.