Zippy Kit(s) 4 DD, Towing, Reliability + Some Performance

Ok, enough talking and waivering - it's time for a shift kit. The sss is my dd and does get used to tow 4-5k lbs (boat) on weekends. My main interest in the upgrade is for increased tranny lifespan. I'm game for a performance kick to boot, but still need the WAF, so conservative shifts during normal driving is needed. That being said...I'll take 3/4-WOT shifts as hard as I can get'em. My question is this...

How does Zippy's "4L60E/65E Towing shift kit" relate to the "4L60E/65E Zippy Kit Shift Kit". Do I need them both? And if I'm interested in the "4L60E/65E Towing shift kit", should I not just go for the "4L60E/65E Tow700R4/4L60/4L60E/4L65E/4L70E Clutch and band upgrade"?

Zippy, here comes another new customer!

JB

EDIT - Here's the link: http://zippyperformance.com/_wsn/page2.html

Edited by jbaker (see edit history)

Yup, I was set on Zippy kit, too, but recently came in contact w/ a shop in town that quoted me $250-300 for HD2-C kit + 2nd vette servo. The owner / service guy said to just add the cost of the 4th servo if I wanted that too (no extra labor). I'm not all that knowledgable about transmissions, but the guy did walk through and ask what engine modifications I planned on having when done, etc - it sounded like he knew his stuff. I'm kinda torn now. He did ask that I have the PCM tune done prior to the shift kit so that he could install / adjust...does this make sense? If so, can I get a tune that is intended to run on an sss w/ shift kit and run it without the kit installed for a few hours?...days?...weeks?

JB

Edited by jbaker (see edit history)

The zippy kit does not meet the WAF requirement. Or, said differently, I'll probably marry the first gal I find that honestly digs the zippy kit 1-2 shift :wub: Get the towing kit; and if you are serious about getting into the internals of the trans then look at the 3-4 clutch pack for signs of failure, these 4L60s are f'n infamous for it and the solution is to change the bleed-down on the 3-4 piston so it can release quickly as possible plus make sure the clutch pack uses full thickness kohlene steels.

Mr. P. :)

More - the price quote you got for install of the Transgo kit is a good one, and yes I would DEFINITELY use a billet 4th/OD servo.

Edited by Mr. P. (see edit history)

:crackup: Yeah in our case we can say "you don't like my truck you can walk" but the semi-bigamous gents don't have that option. :lol:
No. No, we don't. :shakehead:

Back on topic. Is there a big difference in shifting between a Vette 2nd servo, and a billet servo?

Edited by CoolBlueSS (see edit history)

what the hells the diff between vette and billet servos? i dont think ill ever understand this
The Vette servo has more apply (surface) area that the stock servo, and a billet has more than the Vette. What this means is that each one will give a progressively firmer shift. It just all depends on how "firm" you want it. It seems to me that there's a fine line with AWD, and shifting too harsh. As, there's no tire slippage that there is with 2WD. Edited by CoolBlueSS (see edit history)