Drop in truck = Drop in Ride quality?

Eyedrive04SS

Hey Guys,

Thinking about lowering my 04 SSS but I am concerned about ride quality. The truck is my everyday driver. What do you guys out there with lowered trucks think. Also, any difference in the Belltech vs. McGau...??? kits. Thanks in advance for your help.

Hey Guys,

Thinking about lowering my 04 SSS but I am concerned about ride quality. The truck is my everyday driver. What do you guys out there with lowered trucks think. Also, any difference in the Belltech vs. McGau...??? kits. Thanks in advance for your help.

my truck still feels stock.. a little stiffer over road bumps and tighter cornering is all i have noticed.

Mine is lowered with 2" Belltech spindles in the front, with another 2 inches lowered using the torsion bars. The back is lowered with shackles and hangers and is a total of about 4inches dropped. It rides decent but not as plush as stock. It get bouncy sometimes but nothing really to complain about. I'm using edelbrock stock height shocks as well.

I did a 2/4, its stiffer then stock be rides nice, here is my setup

Hotchkis Performance Front And Rear Sway Bars #2231

Bellteck 2" Lowering Spindles #2508

Hotchkis 4" Lowering Leaf Pack With Special Carrier Bearing Bracket, Transmission Spacer, Shims And Polyurethane Bump Stops Are Included With Each Spring Set. #2403.(ext cab)

Bellteck Nitro-Active Shocks Front#10018 - Rear#10572.

pic how it sits after drop

TruckRRC.jpg

hope this helps

Edited by shakesvho (see edit history)

Thanks for all of the help guys. I had not heard anyone complain of ride on the forums before but after talking to some of the installers in my area they mentioned a sacrifice in ride. Still trying to decided on how low and what brand to go with. Thanks for all of the suggestions.

Mike

I would have to agree on the driveability and ride issue. I just did a Mcgaughy's 3-5" kit on my 2007 Crew Max. I realize that it is not the same truck but the ride and handling have both improved. Good luck on your project Mike!

Kim

I dropped mine 2/2 using Belltech drop spindles up front and shackles in the back. Ride quality feels about the same to me. I did drill the front bump stops to help with ride quality and it worked great. I've got new nitro drop 2 shocks in the front and some new stock height shocks on the back. :thumbs:

Good info guys. Just a follow up and I realize this is somewhat of a personal preference but I am wanting to go as low as possible and flatten out the stance of the truck while avoiding rubbing/clearance issues with the wheels. I have the stock SS rims now but plan on going to 22 or 24 along with the drop. Am I correct that the beltech kit is only available in the 2/2 drop for our truck and the McGaughy is only available in the 2/3.5 drop? I also see alot of guys saying the 3/4 gives the best look. I know you can get the 3 up front with the spindles and torsion adjustment but how are you getting the 4 out back with the McGaughy kit? Thanks for the continued advise.

Mike

I can't speak for the 04 but I think the Mcgaughy's 2/3.5 kit comes with hangers and shackles in the rear. On my 07 it used a flip kit with new hangers. The Mcgaughy's hangers on the 2007 have 2 sets of mounting bolts to the frame which yeilds the 4" or 5" drop. I have also seen the Mcgaughy's hangers with 2 sets of shackle holes. I would imagine that to go from 3.5 to 4 drop in the rear that you would just modify the hanger or use a different length shackle. Just my guess. Hope this helps.

Kim

have to say my truck with a 3/4 being a rcsb rides better then stock ever did. its firmer in bends and smooth on straight roads. lowering was a worry but after i did it i cant complain. ive rode in other cars/trucks lowerd and rode like ass...some how my truck rides nice!!!!!!!

its a risk you take when you lower or raise a ride. my blazer being 2" lift rides alot better then it did at stock height, girls jeep being lifted 1" rides to stiff IMHO

Holty's truck rode nice for the short distance i was in it. a buddy with a sierra doesnt ride as smooth as my truck.

shocks make a huge difference.......spend the money and get the high dollar shocks. the saying you get what you pay for is true. pay 75 bucks ap op get a great ride.....spend 35 bucks on drop shocks and get a shitty ride

I am sold on the 3/4 drop with new shocks. I understand how to get the 3" in front but am still confused on how to get 4" in the rear. I think I saw a thread that said to do the belltech hangers and the McGaughy shackles to get the full 4" drop? Any opinions here? Thanks.

Mike

I am sold on the 3/4 drop with new shocks. I understand how to get the 3" in front but am still confused on how to get 4" in the rear. I think I saw a thread that said to do the belltech hangers and the McGaughy shackles to get the full 4" drop? Any opinions here? Thanks.

Mike

you can buy the whole DJM kit for a nice price for the rear, i have it on my truck and its nice piece just dont ever plan on using caltracs