My First Truck- 03 Sss- Critique My Plans Experts

Turbocoop

This was a trade in at the dealership I work at, I got it about a month ago. Im an apprentice mechanic now so Im still learning stuff but Im getting the hang of it- Ive always been a 4cyl turbo guy, I still kinda am too...

On to the truck- its an 03 AWD with 63K on the dial, its from Illinois so theres a bunch of rust under it but that will be taken care of very soon. No major repairs listed in the report, but I bought the GMPP insurance deal to be safe.

It came with these rear air helper springs on the leafs which I am selling so I can lower it, check em out --link to thread.

So far Ive installed a 5pc billet grille which I painted black, amber DRLs, 8000K HIDs, 15% on the sides and 35% on the winshield, I just put these wheels on last week- American Racing Black Trench 20x8.5". Im gonna save up for a while cause I dont want to go crazy like Ive done with my other cars in the past. I dont need this to be really fast- thats what my 240sx is for, so I think Im gonna stop at a Nelson Performance turbo kit, electric fan conversion, full 4" exhaust, and a few other things. Maybe a flush mount bed cover and an AVIC N2 DVD/nav for inside...

I do

need help deciding on a lowering kit too so any input would be appreciated. I want it to be almost slammed but not ride like a complete POS.

Heres some pics I just snapped in my driveway-

1332574321_54ed32dcfe.jpg?v=0

1333469522_9dac1a82b1.jpg?v=0

1333464946_91c3fb9b1e.jpg?v=0

One question- heres a pic of my seats, both of them are moved as far back as they will go with the electric switch- but the passenger one stops at like 7" more towards the front than the driver seat. Is anyone elses like that? It pisses me off cause Im OCD when it comes to my vehicles. Ill get a whole new seat frame assembly if I have to cause I cant stand this.

1333467144_508d29bcdc_m.jpg

Heres my 240sx- its not quite ready for the street yet buts its gonna have some balls- black top SR20 with top mount SC61 @ 17psi...

491728069_36452065c6.jpg

Thanks for lookin

Edited by Turbocoop (see edit history)

I do

need help deciding on a lowering kit too so any input would be appreciated. I want it to be almost slammed but not ride like a complete POS.

Thanks for lookin

Try using the search button.... This matter has been beaten to a bloody death time and time again.

kick ass truck man... black out the rest of the truck now... tail lights, 3rd brake light, and do some side amber deletes, maybe a tonneau cover... take it slow... those are the basics to get her lookin pretty...

but...

throw some long tube headers on... no need imo to go with a 4" exhaust, especially with a turbo... unless it is a front mount turbo, but still 3" is enough.

a 3/5 drop would be great as long as you get something decent and do it right... i have belltech, they are decent, try tbyrne above for some stuff too... they usually have group purchase buys which save you a ton of money... watch out for them... your best bet is to become active on the boards and you will learn alot from other people with the same questions and problems... llike everyone says, use the search function too...

if you are going with a turbo you have to upgrade the transmission, it will eventually go out on you... happens to everyone who is F/I... Performabuilt, FLT just to name a few.

kick ass wheels too... good choice.

welcome to the boards too.

Dave

Edited by usabodyguard (see edit history)

One question- heres a pic of my seats, both of them are moved as far back as they will go with the electric switch- but the passenger one stops at like 7" more towards the front than the driver seat. Is anyone elses like that? It pisses me off cause Im OCD when it comes to my vehicles. Ill get a whole new seat frame assembly if I have to cause I cant stand this.

Welcome to the site :cheers: As far as the seat goes, the seats are supposed to go foreward and backward the same distance, at least mine do. Check to make sure that the seat track isn't crimped or that there isn't a foreign object stuck in the track. :chevy:

Edited by Fireman31 (see edit history)

welcome, nice truck. I like the wheels, how much did the weight?

b4 you go crazy $$, spend some bucks on your trans and maybe start thinking stall.

The trick kits are nice, just find a tuner now so when you mod you can adjust the tune.

My friend at work is a genius when it comes to GM trannys so thats covered. I dont plan on running a lot of boost but i will build the tranny extra strong to be safe. As far as the rust goes- we have this undercoating crap at work that is supposed to be better than the factory stuff so Im gonna spray that on the frame rust, and for the rest of it its gonna be rust remover and a wire wheel. Side note: I think GM has a longer warranty that covers "corrosion" (you have to call it corrosion cause "rust" isnt covered) so if your truck is kinda new and rusty look into that. I wanna say its 4yrs 40K miles but I forget...

I was planning on getting a single header for the drivers side of the engine since the turbo goes on the pass. side, and running a 4" DP off of the turbo if theres room, 3" is fine for the other side.

Thanks, you should have seen my old civic- 320hp LS/vtec turbo. All blacked out of course

Nice! I just came out of a subaru forester XT that was pretty well modded. it put down 307.8 at all 4wheels on 91 w/ a dynodymamics dyno. Can't believe that I got rid of the thing but this truck is a nice step up and a new canvass for mods. :)

wrong thing to say around here :shakehead: thats a bad word here :crackup:

We're open to everything here. I think that's pretty obvious. I wouldn't discriminate someone for their opinion, even if your intentions were good. I personally don't like the STS system because they have a habit of leaking (at least in my own experience) and in a truck I'd want something stronger, like a supercharger). Some of the fastest SSes are done up with STS kit and the people who have it love it. If they want to promote it let them. If people people have their own experiences and they say stay away, let them. I'm not trying to be a dick, I'm just saying not to shut people down like that on an open forum like this.