Dear Superchips

After reading about the custom tuning that is available for our trucks. I decided to write superchips and address my disappointment with the 2715 tuner and their need to develop a tune specifically for the SS.

To whom it may concern,

I recently purchased a 2715 max micro tuner for my 2003 Silverado SS. At first I was some what satisified with the performance of your tuner. Then, I found out that for less than what I paid for the 2715 tuner, that I could have purchased a custom tune designed specifically for the Silverado SS that exceeds the performance gains acheived with the 2715.

I am a member of an online community, which is the only web based community, for our specific model truck that I am aware of. Some of our members that had the 2715 tune installed, then had a custom tune installed, all claim that the custom tune far exceeds the 2715 performance gains.

Keeping in mind that the trucks that had the custom tunes were all primarly stock. Most of them have made the same modifications that I have, A air filter and exhaust upgrade. I have a K&N filter and a flo-pro muffler that was designed for the 6.o L vortec engine.

Now when I refer to other custom tunes I'm not talking about your competitor companies like preditor or hypertech. I am talking about companies that have mail order tunes designed specifically for our SS'S. These companies don't offer their tune in a programer like yours. You either have to send them a pcm or pay a core charge, and send them yours when you receive theirs. Personally, I don't see that as an inconvenience. Especially if their product truly acheives recognizable gains over stock.

What are your plans, if any to offer better tuning for the Silverado SS? Has any testing been with a Silverado SS by you company? If you have a better tune for a 6.0 L H.O. how much more can I expect to pay for it?

One of the companies that I have researched offers a tune for less than I paid for the 2715, and you pay additionally for any future tuning due to any modification you make. The other two companies charge more than I paid for the 2715 with no additional charges for future tuning.

My personal expierence with the 2715 tuner has been kinda disappointing. Somes days it seems like it has better performance than stock, and some day it seems dogish. I have had hypettech chips and one custom chip from Jones Electronics in the past 8 vehicles that I have owned. Unfortunately, I rate the 2715 dead last compared to before and after results.

My intentions in writting you this is not to tell you how much I dislike your product. It's to see if there is anyway to improve your product and offers those of us that purchased your 2715 a better tune for our SS's.

If you have no future plans to develop a better tune for the SS please let me know so I can make arrangements to contact one of the custom tuning companies.

Respectfully,

Vince Drumright

I emailed it to them about 15 minutes ago. Hopefully I'll get a reply tomorrow.

It just kind pisses me off knowing what I spent for the 2715 tuner and what I could have got with the same money for a custom tune. I think they needed to here this.

i am with you on that one Vince...as you and i are in the same boat...even if they were to come out with one i would not even look twice...they said intially that their programmer was the bset for the H.O. motor and that they knew the difference between the rest...but the obviously didn't do their homework...

i am with you on that one Vince...as you and i are in the same boat...even if they were to come out with one i would not even look twice...they said intially that their programmer was the bset for the H.O. motor and that they knew the difference between the rest...but the obviously didn't do their homework...

amen brother :thumbs:

they actually did do their homework, they sold their product and that was the point. custom tunes have been around for quite some time and really can't be beaten. this is why you don't buy an item simply based on advertising. care to buy a tornado?

they actually did do their homework, they sold their product and that was the point. custom tunes have been around for quite some time and really can't be beaten. this is why you don't buy an item simply based on advertising. care to buy a tornado?

I didn't base my purchase on any advertising. I went with it because at the time custom tuning was not a hot topic on the forum. Guys on here were talking about how they liked the superchip.

But your are right. Big corporations primarily care about the almighty dollar. They probably sped more money on advertising than R&D. When I got the tuner I noticed on the box that the 2715 has the ability to program 5.0L, 5.7L and 7.4L V8s plus the newer 4.8L, 5.3L, 6.0L and 8.1L Vortech V8 motors.

How can the same tune work for all these different vehicles?

Wow. Kinda nice to know this. I'm in the market for a tuner (or pcm) now. I like the idea of a hand held so I can put it back to stock when in for service or whatever reason.

A whole new pcm sorta makes me nervous that if I had a warranty issue with the motor or other electronics, Chevy would fight me.

I really don't know why I worry about that (except probably my age) :lol:

My last truck '00 Z71 I lost money on the warranty. Never had a claim! Over 100k miles :chevy:

But I drive alot of miles. Reliability is as much, if not more important as a good laugh at our competitors...

:confused:

BTW: There's a litte snow on the ground now.. They want no part of me!!

I was told the tuner recognizes the engine vin code, and installs the correct tune for that code. SuperChips rep Brian told me that the SuperChips tuner is the only one out that is adjusted over the entire useable rpm range. Every 200 rpms samples of power and torque are taken and optimized in the SuperChips tuners. The 2715 is no different. They work with the chip in the pcm and vcm to inmprove performance over a very broad rpm band. Others may make more power at say 5500 rpm, but not at 2800 where we do most of our driving.

I'm not trying to "sell" superchips, or anything, but I researched the tuners pretty well, and they had the best "value" for the dollar of all I read about. I got mine in October, and it was the only one that was even tested on an SS.

I guess opinions vary?

SuperDave

Ok guys...here is Superchips sales dept response.

"From: Corey Dupree [mailto:[email protected]]On Behalf Of Sales

Account

Sent: Friday, January 09, 2004 3:05 PM

To: Work email

Subject: RE:

I'm not really sure why some people may be under the impression that we offer a 'custom' program for the SS, because we do not. The 2715 does contain a program for the SS though. The 2715 is not a generic, off the shelf part that has just one program for all GM trucks. It contains files & programs for all of the V8 engines in GM's trucks & suvs. When the tuner is used it knows what model of vehicle it's being used on and loads a specific program into the vehicle. I doubt we will do any further testing on that model, because unlike the smaller companies that you mentioned we deal in a much larger volume of sales & variety of vehicles than they do. We simply just don't have the time to focus on just one model of vehicle just to tweak on it like a smaller company does because we are constantly coming out with new products.

Thanks for your reply Cory. I'll be sure to pass this information on to my fellow SS owners

Vince E. Drumright

I also sent another email and asked this:

One more quick question. When you say the 2715 contains a program for the SS do you mean that a program was witten for the 6.0L H.O. or that a program for the standard 6.0L is used?

Archived