Got The Pacesetters In!

RacerJJ

Overall a pretty easy install with two people. The hardest part was cutting my current exhaust up with the saws-all to get it out. The truck sounds bitchin' open header but I don't think it will run very well like that and I have to have mufflers in my racing classes. One strange thing...My plugs looked great but I had a lot of rust in my exhaust pipes. Not the shorty headers, but the rest of the pipes. What gives? Is it the leaded fuel? Am I close to catostrophic engine failure? Your input is most appreciated. :thumbs:

nice. :thumbs: i wanna see the performance gain compared to the shorty's. you might need to re-tune it for the LT's though.

That's what I've been hearing but I'm hoping to get away with it since I don't really know what to tune!

Rust in the piping? Well the piping is stainless. Stain-less. Its not rust proof, just less prone to rust. For every gallon of fuel burned it creates a gallon of water. This gets vaporized once the engine reaches temp and exits in the form of steam or a slight trickle. Most likely that is there rust is coming from. So I wouldn’t sweat the rust in your exhaust tubing.

Edited by Badkarma (see edit history)

Rust in the piping? Well the piping is stainless. Stain-less. Its not rust proof, just less prone to rust. For every gallon of fuel burned it creates a gallon of water. This gets vaporized once the engine reaches temp and exits in the form of steam or a slight trickle. Most likely that is there rust is coming from. So I wouldn’t sweat the rust in your exhaust tubing.
:withstupid:

he already installed them but he just wants to know about the rust...

-Rob

hey rob i just notices that your sig says you have dual 3' pipes and 4' tips...............those are HUGE, must flow like a mofo though.. :crackup::crackup::crackup: j/k i know you meant 3"/4" tips

awesome jon.

you going to be at the track next street legal event?

i plan to bring my truck out maybe then but for sure dec 1 to hopefully go fast.

I'm not sure. It depends when it is but maybe. I can't wait to see yours run.

Question...It is still open header and I had to move it in the driveway a bit. It ran fine but after in park it seemed like it wanted to die. What gives? Is it a lack of back pressure? Is it the tune? Or did I F&%$ up? Thanks...The mufflers are going on Saturday as well as a little tinkering with the tune.

I'm not sure. It depends when it is but maybe. I can't wait to see yours run.

Question...It is still open header and I had to move it in the driveway a bit. It ran fine but after in park it seemed like it wanted to die. What gives? Is it a lack of back pressure? Is it the tune? Or did I F&%$ up? Thanks...The mufflers are going on Saturday as well as a little tinkering with the tune.

Most likely not enough heat in the O2's causing a searching idle. Takes a little bit for the ECU to learn to idle with open headers. Should be fine. I would reset your ECU when the exhaust gets welded up so that it overwrites what it learned with the headers open though. Not being driven on the street, you could have a hard time waiting for it to relearn everything, so find a big parking lot where you can do some mild driving and some stop and go for about a half an hour or more to get it to go through a driving cycle. There are some tricks in the tuning section that someone posted a while back to help speed up the re-learn, I can't remember what they did though.

Most likely not enough heat in the O2's causing a searching idle. Takes a little bit for the ECU to learn to idle with open headers. Should be fine. I would reset your ECU when the exhaust gets welded up so that it overwrites what it learned with the headers open though. Not being driven on the street, you could have a hard time waiting for it to relearn everything, so find a big parking lot where you can do some mild driving and some stop and go for about a half an hour or more to get it to go through a driving cycle. There are some tricks in the tuning section that someone posted a while back to help speed up the re-learn, I can't remember what they did though.

Thanks. That's what I thought was happening. I'll rewrite my tune after the ehaust is done and maybe try to tweak it a little too. I'm not sure what to tweak for optimal performance with the LT's but I'm just gonna wing it.