Request - Detailing Advice Pm's

I don't mean to come off like an **** or anything. I'm always willing to help where I can, but I'm getting inundated with PMs and emails requesting one-on-one advice about products, techniques, and prices for detailing.

If you have a question about detailing post it in the forums, that way if anyone else has the same question I don't end up answering it over and over and over and over again. Like I said, I'm willing to help, but it would make much more sense to have answers to questions in the forums where they are accessible by all members and able to be searched down the line if someone needs answers. In most cases there are other members besides myself that can contribute valuable information to the answer as well... I may be good at what I do, but I am by no means perfect and theres always other unique information others can contribute as well.

Secondly, I am continually flattered that so many of you like my work and want me to detail your trucks, but please don't contact me just to find out what I'm charging with no real intention of ever having me do the work... especially people who claim they'll make a 5+ hour drive from another state to have me wash their truck... thats just silly... it'd be a mess by the time you got it back home again. I really do appreciate it, I take each and every comment/inquiry to heart, but at the end of the day... I don't like getting stroked.

Thanks for understanding guys. :cheers:

maybe you should get your own section of the forum??? like a section devoted to all detailing question. we will call it the dylan help line...idk but i understand what your saying must be a pain to answer a million questions about the same thing. isnt that why zippy got his own form so people would stop pm'n him???

I fully agree with you dylan not only that but time is money. when you write up all these post it takes more thought than just a couple words. Step by step on something that is second nature is hard to reproduce in words.

However with that said I do have one question you mostly touched on the wash and detail part, how do you cut clear coat? My new beater the paint is pretty decent but there and many scratches some deep others not so deep. I would like to clean them up.

I don't think he works for that company anymore fox ... I could be wrong though.

You are correct sir.

However with that said I do have one question you mostly touched on the wash and detail part, how do you cut clear coat? My new beater the paint is pretty decent but there and many scratches some deep others not so deep. I would like to clean them up.

Short answer: A polishing compound and a buffer... aggressiveness of the pad to be used and the compound are determined by testing a small spot on the car until you find the combo that will take the clear down far enough to get rid of the defects... this often times will take multiple passes to get right.

You are correct sir.

Short answer: A polishing compound and a buffer... aggressiveness of the pad to be used and the compound are determined by testing a small spot on the car until you find the combo that will take the clear down far enough to get rid of the defects... this often times will take multiple passes to get right.

My bad dylan, thought you were still with them, well anyhow you ever coming to phoenix again, lol.

Is it just me, or is Dylan's new avatar hilarious? hahahaha

I love it! :jester:

Thanks... I get a chuckle each time I see it.

Its the result of a blowup over on TBSS.com... some guys were having a hissy fit about the booty sig... reminded me of good old Lee and his puritanical crusade to rid sss.com of booty sigs, now I'm pretty sure theres more booty sigs than non-booty sigs... what a trend I started :D