Buy A Module To Make My Cell Work With Onstar?

hesaw00

newbie question - I did a search but didn't get a hit

my 04 SS has the stock head unit with 6 disc changer + Onstar

Onstar is not active

can I buy a plug-in that will allow me to cheat and use existing hardware to talk on my cell? I assume it would be a blue tooth plug-in?

LG phone, not that it should matter...I guess

thanks!

Not sure I've ever seen anything that will allow this type of function on a stock radio, but aftermarket options are out there.

For example you can go with an Alpine IVAW205 and add the bluetooth adapter, essentially getting you the same functionality, and with the right adapters you'll maintain your onstar function, door chimes, steering wheel controls, etc.

IVAW205 - http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/products/p...?model=IVA-W205

KCE-300BT - http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/products/p...300BT&tab=D

Edited by Dylan06SS (see edit history)

I dunno..When I had Onstar i could forward my phone to my truck and talk over the speakers that way..

Yeah, but didn't you have to pay for minutes thru onstar then too?? At least thats how I thought it worked unless you have a CDMA phone carrier that can be married to an onstar account.

• 2 weeks later...

I found some more info...looks like Verizon and Onstar have an agreement. I just hate to pay for an Onstar account because the services are useless to me. Basically I would have to pay a couple extra hundred bucks per year for Onstar and then I could link my Verizon phone...or "transfer" calls...I guess that is a better way of saying it.

thanks for the feedback

More info please? Or is it self-evident when you buy the right components?

Mr. P. :)

Yes - please elaborate...can I do it with a bluetooth handsfree? Ideally I would have it set up that way...and everything would be tucked out of the way, I hope.

thanks

• 4 weeks later...