Turbo Manifold- Front Mount

I saw the Trick turbo kit and it looks decent at best. The BOV and wastegate look like ebay specials, the turbo is ok but its not ball bearing, theres no more than $500 worth of stainless steel piping in there, and the worst part is the manifold design- it looks like it would flow like crap. I dont want to piss anyone off that has this kit- Im sure it would be a great setup- but imagine how much better it would be with a better flowing manifold, better turbo, an intercooler and real parts that dont come from china. I emailed them to see about getting just the manifold, crossover pipe, and downpipe and they wanted $2400 for it which I think is ridiculous...

Does anyone know if anybode else sells a turbo manifold for a 6.0L??? I doubt it- Ive been searching everywhere Ill probably end up making it myself. The crossover pipe and DP and easy. Im gonna do the piping for the intercooler too.

The only thing Im really not sure about is how to tune it- what kind of tuning options do I have? I want to get it dynotuned, but how am I supposed to hook up a laptop to it while its getting tuned to change the fuel and ignition settings? It was easy with my honda, I just plugged in a USB and did it. I dont really want to get a tune sent to me cause Ive done that before and it didnt work very good at all.

Heres what Im planning:

Turbonetics GT-K 650 turbo- $1600

intercooler/piping- $600

SS piping for crossover/manifold/DP- $500

BOV/Wastegate- $400

oil lines- $100

misc.- $500

tuning- $500 ???

fuel pump+ injectors- ???

So Ill probably end up spending about $5400, and I will have all the stuff I want, it will be more reliable, faster, look better, and best of all I can say I did it myself. Doesnt that sound like a better deal?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you want to make nice SS headrs with nice collectors you can change your hot side piping price to about 2k at the least. The trick kit should work well to about 6-750fwhp. Its not cheap to build this stuff you have a lot of mat. cost and mucho labor to fab. No point in a BB turbo for a street truck with as many cubes as we have either.

If you want to make nice SS headrs with nice collectors you can change your hot side piping price to about 2k at the least. The trick kit should work well to about 6-750fwhp. Its not cheap to build this stuff you have a lot of mat. cost and mucho labor to fab. No point in a BB turbo for a street truck with as many cubes as we have either.

Thats true about the BB deal. I didnt think about that- coming from the 4cyl world- Ill look into a cheaper turbo. I was planning on using some schedule 40 bends from here- http://www.mcmaster.com/ - and that will only come out to like $200, plus some more for flanges and stuff. And for the crossover pipe I can use an old section from my friends truck and hack up my cats and make something, and the downpipe is just easy to make. I spent like $150 in materials for the last one I made

i hear you on the price. you see all these kits on line or ppl sealing kits they put together and trying to sell the hot sides for 2k or so....sorry i dont see that happening. now maybe to some ppl that dont have any ability to do shit themselves. doing work yourself you can cut the cost down to about half what they got listed

I have the Trick Turbo on my truck. As far as the quality of the hot parts they are top notch. Try Pricing out manderal bent 304 stainless tubing, Then The flanges. The material alone on the flanges will run upward of 200 bucks. Thats not including the price of having them cut out. As far as the welds go, they're done very well. The waste gate and BOV are all turbo smart stuff, and not cheap china shit. I Did however upgrade mine. Not pissed at all about your comments, just letting you know that price really isn't bad for the quality your getting. Its a super easy kit to install and works sweet. I would not trade my kit for any of the Blowers out there.

I just thought the turbo smart stuff looked like ebay crap, plus ive never heard of that company before. The welds did look great, theyre all TIG right? Thats what it looked like. If I wanted to get a kit and have a turbo on in one day then it would be fine, Ive just had bad experiences with buying turbo kits and I told myself never to do it again. I talked to them and they said they were working on a new prototype manifold with a better/stronger design so I might look into that, cause thats the only thing im worried about- making a manifold thts strong enough to hold up to all the heat/vibration/weight of the turbo...

One more thing- did it come with any sort of tuning program or ecu, or did you have to take it somewhere? Thanks

I just thought the turbo smart stuff looked like ebay crap, plus ive never heard of that company before. The welds did look great, theyre all TIG right? Thats what it looked like. If I wanted to get a kit and have a turbo on in one day then it would be fine, Ive just had bad experiences with buying turbo kits and I told myself never to do it again. I talked to them and they said they were working on a new prototype manifold with a better/stronger design so I might look into that, cause thats the only thing im worried about- making a manifold thts strong enough to hold up to all the heat/vibration/weight of the turbo...

One more thing- did it come with any sort of tuning program or ecu, or did you have to take it somewhere? Thanks

All Tig welded. Its pretty damn complete for a kit. All the hot pipes fit just like factory stuff. Goes on super easy with no headaches. Jegs and summit sell a ton of turbosmart stuff. So far its been holding up very strong, even with the load i put on it towing and everything else. Probably got 8,000 miles on it so far without any problems whatsoever, besides my tires getting thin, lol. I had Nelson send me a tune

TurboSmart has quality stuff...... You could do a flipped manifold and make it work... May take some skills with the welder..... I would put a gt42 on th basterd.. No need for ballbearings.... I am really considering punting my big procharger in favor of a GT47! CRAZY!

TurboSmart has quality stuff...... You could do a flipped manifold and make it work... May take some skills with the welder..... I would put a gt42 on th basterd.. No need for ballbearings.... I am really considering punting my big procharger in favor of a GT47! CRAZY!

Upgrading from the prochager to a turbo is way better. I used to have a p1sc on my truck. Where the blower made 4 psi your turbo will already be making 10psi + depending on how much boost you are making. Boost is almost instant with the Trick Turbo kit, Not much lag at all.

Even With my A.T.I cog set up.. i have belt issues.. tired of it... nothing like cutting 1.45's and then have the belt slip.. Abort the run..Blh blah blh! I really just like turbos better.. I like the power delivery much more, and its actually less trouble free once it is tuned right. The GT47 is prob. going on next year. (if i keep the truck.. I want to do it in a NBS regular cab)

Edited by H8R (see edit history)

Even With my A.T.I cog set up.. i have belt issues.. tired of it... nothing like cutting 1.45's and then have the belt slip.. Abort the run..Blh blah blh! I really just like turbos better.. I like the power delivery much more, and its actually less trouble free once it is tuned right. The GT47 is prob. going on next year. (if i keep the truck.. I want to do it in a NBS regular cab)

ha sounds like my project, big turbo, big motor in a RCSB 2wd