Which T-stat Do I Need?

I was looking on the Lingenfelter site at T-stats. There are a bunch of different types. Do I need one with the housing attached, or just a bare T-stat?

Take a look at the web page and tell me which ones I need if I wanted both a 160 and a 180.

Lingenfelter T-stats

Also, does anyone know what the stock temperature is?

Mike

Edited by Vortec MAX (see edit history)

I was looking on the Lingenfelter site at T-stats. There are a bunch of different types. Do I need one with the housing attached, or just a bare T-stat?

Take a look at the web page and tell me which ones I need if I wanted both a 160 and a 180.

Lingenfelter T-stats

Also, does anyone know what the stock temperature is?

Mike

I'm sure you would use the same one as the rest of with the newer trucks and that would be the first 2 on the list. The stock t-stat is 86 degree Celsius = 186.8 degree Fahrenheit as you can see in the below picture.

StockStat.jpg

Hope that helps.

Thanks! If the stock one is 186.8 degrees, it seems like a waste of time and money to put one in that is only 7 degrees cooler. I think I will try the 160. You are sure LN1001 is the right one?

Mike

It looks like it's the right one and from the description between that one and the one I got from SLP they should be about the same. If in doubt you could go with the one from SLP like most of us have.

I'm sure you're aware of this already, but wanted to throw it out there anyway. Even with a cooler stat, you'll still run close to the same temp that you run now at city speeds. Your PCM will need to be modified to lower the fan on-temps to take advantage of this. At highway speeds, you should notice it running cooler.

prolly depends on how bad your winters are in Idaho......

160 is still pretty warm. I would imagine the heater would still work pretty well. We are only talking a 27 degree difference.

If I had an issue, such as constant freeway speed making the heat not work so well, I could cover a portion of the radiator with a piece of cardboard. This is also known as an Idaho high tech solution :)

Has anyone put in a 160 that lives in a cold climate? Some feedback on this would help.

Thanks for all the quick responses.

Mike

for an '06 you should need just the thermostat only, no housing needed......I have a 160* SLP T-stat for my SSS just havent installed it yet, paid like $24 from Summit Racing........I believe that the stock thermostat is 195* :chevy: