Torque Converter Help,

Thank's for checking this out,

Here is my situation, I just Had my Trans built. And aperentally there was a miscomunication at the trans shop and the converter I suplied did not get installed, it has a stock converter at this time. (He will install it for free if I want it, but he say's I wont like it and Is really trying to talk me out of it.

The Converter is a: TCI, Super Street Fighter, 3600rpm stall.

What should I do? I am intrested to find out how other people with SSS, like there's, what do u hate? I kinda got one shot at this, :yellow_loser: trans guy say's it will be very sluggish at lower speeds and break my neck at every light.

cam is: 550 lift int/exh. duration 204/218 int/exh

engine: 408ci, centrifugal blower

Thank's :confused:

my tc is a bout a 3200 stall . sluggish out of the hole ? before tc 1.9 60 ft after tc 1.72 60ft . you will have to adapt your driving habits a little but i like it

He said it would be good from a dead stop, but when it was already moving and between gears on regular driving would be sluggish, thank's for the advice, though, I am jus trying to figure out if it would be annoying to drive when i am not out getting on it. I choose 3600, cause i dont build boost till 3400rpm and I wanted to launch close to my boost range, cause it is a dog off the line. ??/

I am concerned that the 3600 is a bit high. Was the convert built for your truck? I mean if it was built for a Camaro, it will suck on the SS Truck as it will stall a a way higher RPM. I think you may want to sell the TCI and get a spec PI for your truck @ about 3K stall speed. Others like Zippy or Chase should help you more.

I love my 2600, but it does take some getting used to for street driving.

CD

3600 is too high unless you are building a purpose-specific truck (1/8th-mile drag). Also, and this is only my observation, but the TCI converters are really bad about boiling the ATF, they run really hot and ATF life will not be very good. I agree with your tranny guy, sell the TCI to one of the Fbody guys and get yourself a quality 2800-3000; IMO the 2600 are not much better than the $150 trailblazer converter and cost far more. I've got a TCS 2800 and love it.

Mr. P. :)

Edited by Mr. P. (see edit history)

Thanks for the help.

the converter was built for my truck. the tech guy at TCI recomended it,that was the only stall option in that converter. the only advantage off putting it in now is he will do it for free, If I switch converters he definately would not go for that. I think I will keep the stock converter that he accidentally installed. and install a different converter later down the road. he said he would buy the TCI form me, about $650.

P&S When People say it takes getting use too, what exactly are U getting used too?

Thank You ~Dan

...P&S When People say it takes getting use too, what exactly are U getting used too?

Thank You ~Dan

The vehicle free-wheels; in other words if you put the truck into gear and you are not on flat ground it will roll backwards on you so you gotta use the brake pedal more (just like when driving a standard shift vehicle). And when you give it the gas like normal the vehicle will be a flat-out dog unless you stab your toe into the throttle about an inch, then it f'n rocks. :thumbs: It took me about 2 weeks to get used to the different feel, instead of gently squeezing down on the gas pedal you more like give it a controlled mini-launch. :driving: A Yank 2600 and Trailblazer converter do not behave all that much different than stock however IMO.

If you do decide to get an aftermarket converter make sure you also install a larger transmission cooler.

Mr. P.

think about a string around the gas petal and when your tc is stalled lower you have to take up the slack with the petal, with a higher stall there is less slack and when you give it gas it goes...after driving the 2600 TBTC it is more sporty feeling truck.

So then what would most suggest the TT3000? I am debating going to a better stall too, well not debating, waiting:)

Depends on what your doing Yank makes the best stall for the money IMO i have the TT2600 and I love it. Its more than enough stall for me and I'm blown. It just depends on what your looking for but I would think the TT3000 is a great choice.

i have a fully built trans and i went with a custom built 3000 stall... and sure it took some getting used to, but now i like it... also, with a high stall, a trans cooler is a MUST!!!

dont forget to get your truck re-tuned for the new trans... and TC...

brad, you need to update your sig.... i didnt know you are F/I