Tech question...

jwest1975

It "locks" both rear axles so they turn as if they are one. This is great for off-roading and drag racing. Not good for going around corners. I am assuming the locker on the SS will be electronically controlled to get around that problem and allow for decent handling qualities. The only downside about a limited slip or a locking diff, is the way traction is lost. It is all or nothing rather than the one wheel losing traction of a standard differential (ever notice how some cars leave two scratch marks behind and some leave one, when they burn out?). This can lead to fishtailing when accelerating hard on wet pavement (at least with a RWD truck) or having the rear end spin around on you in a turn. I have a limited slip on my S-10 and it is great. Just need to take it easy on the gas in the rain :). Of course we have yet to see what computer gimmicks GM might be doing for traction control, that could be bothersome for us.

• Admin
It is disabled at 20mph I believe for safety reasons

huh? That doesn't make sense. A rear locker is not an on/off sort of thing. Either you have one, or you don't. And if you do, its always "on", mechanically. :)

Yes, they disengage past 20 mph.

This has been standard issue since the 1990 SS.

It is called a "Eaton locker".

It uses a mechanical setup operated via a flyweight on the carrier, once you exceed 20 mph the flyweight disengages the locker.

This is also the first thing to break on the original SS, I repalced mine a long time ago with Eatons new H/D carbon fiber plate limited slip. It has been in the truck for three sets of slicks pulling low 1.6 60ft times, so I think it's bulletproof. :D

RF

Actually, RF, I think it changed in the 95 -96 models. I had a 94 with the factory locking rear and it worked the way one would expect. When I traded up to a 96 with the locking rear, it worked horribly. It was out of commission above 20 mph, and spinning in the mud or snow apparently sometime tricked the damn thing into thining it was above 20 mph!!!

Call it the "dumbing down" of the locking rear... lol. I can see where an in-experiecned driver could lose control of the vehicle with the old style locker.

But hen we all lose .....

Dang Ratfink low 1.6 60ft times in a truck??

I have a 12 bolt with 4.88s and a spool on slicks

and I can't pull a 1.6 60ft time and that is launching

at 4000 RPM, now I did get a 150 shot of NOS for my B-Day

last week so we will see!! :chevy:

Dang Ratfink low 1.6 60ft times in a truck??

I have a 12 bolt with 4.88s and a spool on slicks

and I can't pull a 1.6 60ft time and that is launching

at 4000 RPM, now I did get a 150 shot of NOS for my B-Day

last week so we will see!! :chevy:

What's your setup?

I'm running 3200 stall, 3:73 gears, and 28x11.5 ET streets on Cal-tracs with a -4* pinion angle.

What's your pinion angle? Pinion angle is crucial to 60ft times.

How much does your setup weigh?

Our 3000lb car pulls 1.2's on a true 10.5 tire. :D

RF

1.2 60 ft times sounds like pro-stock numbers

We run a 400 HP small block 331 with a 4000

stall converter turbo 400 with a 2.52 1st gear

Honestly don't know the pinion angle, i am building

a new shaft now since I broke a u-joint and through

the last on out at 105MPH took the tailshaft housing

and the rearend yoke with it. We are running 4.88s

with a spool. :cheers:

When you get the beast back together set the pinion about 3-4 down.

Then keep moving the instant center out, the 60 fts will come, or are you on leaf springs?

If you are on leaf springs call calvert racing and talk to Travis, whatever he says do, trust me. :cheers:

www.calvertracing.com

Our car is a 388 small chevy, 4:30 gear, glide, Leaving at 4k on the brake, with 3000lb rolling weight on a true 10.5 tire with "stock type" suspension.

Here's the funny part.......it's a 89 mustang LX sedan. :D

RF

Archived