Wiz Hid Troubles

Ok i got my Wiz HIDs from a great member of the site a little over a month ago. They are 9006 6000Ks

and they looked great to begin with, parts didnt look cheap despite the price and everything seemed sturdy.

My only concern was how the wires were set up. Its pretty difficult to explain so I'm gonna try to explain with a pic:

Illustration.jpg

As you can see, the yellow represents the wires that goes from the ballast to the actual HID bulb.

The orange represents the wires(red&black) that go from the ballast to the harness. Both sets of wires run through the rubber piece. I am assuming the purpose of the rubber piece is to keep the bulb in place by holding the base of the bulb against the back of the headlight assembly. Please correct me if I'm wrong. If this is correct, then the wires from the ballast to the harness are in the way and keeping the rubber piece from making contact with the bulbs base and/or back of the headlight assembly.

I read that there shouldnt be any modifications needed, other than where to mount the ballast, which i copied from 2006SilverSS. So I left the wiring and rubber piece as is but then i realized that the base of the bulbs wouldnt secure tightly into the headlights. you know, this part:

HeadlightAssembly.jpg

This was the most i could turn the base on the driver side and it wasnt very much:

WTFBulbInstalled.jpg

Up until now, the driver side sitting is very flimsy and a wiggle on the wires can pull the bulb right out the back of the headlight! The passenger side is a little bit more secure, but not as much as I would like...

I checked to make sure the bulbs were the right size (9006), and they were. Ijust left it installed that way because the wires didnt really move while driving...

But now, my passenger side HID is flickering often, and my driver side every once in a while. I have checked all connections from the ballasts to the harness and bulbs to make sure there wasn't anything loose or interfering. Sometimes my passenger side just totally shuts off, and the only way to get them back on is to flip the headlights on and off, on and off, etc...

The seller himself was great, I think i just ran into some faulty ballasts or something...

Has anyone else had this problem? or anyone have any advice? Thanks in advance.

Edited by haul@ss (see edit history)

I went and looked at mine and the rubber piece i had to kind of tuck it out of the way so I can put my headlight back in. As for the bulb not twisting I remember one side was similar and I just had to give a little forceful twisting to lock it into place and I have no problem. As for the light flickering I dunno i may be safe to assume that if the bulb is bouncing around it may cause that but dunno.

could be faulty ballasts? also, when its cold as hell out, sometimes i have to turn the lights on and off twice to get em both to come on. dont know if its an alaska thing, but in the summer or when its warm out, they both come on fine. try filing down the little tabs on the ones that don't turn all the way? are there extra wires on that rubber part? on mine, there was the power and the ground wire and 2 extra wires that did nothing, so i cut those off and the rubber part.

i'm about to get HID highbeams and HID foglights :D

I had the same problem with my HID's....the flickering and going off...it was an ebay kit...so i accepted my loss...pulled everything out and went to Silverstar Ultras as lows and Silverstars as highs....and did the 4 high mod...i like it....but i want my HID's back...so im jus waiting for some extra cash to throw down on a reputable brand....but yours sounds like my symptoms as well..........

ok well I had/have the same problem. My passenger side as well would flicker somtimes and go off at times but that all changed once I changed my fuses to a 20a so if you didnt do this already try that and see what happens. as far as the bulb not turning and locking in place take a pair of plyers to it. dont turn on the really hard but use light to firm force and i bet youll be surprised as I had the same issue so i tried pliers and got them turned all the way in. gl

Thanks for ya inputs guys. I'll try some of those suggestions in the future. Today, my friend with an 04 silverado came by and we swapped both HIDs into his truck. Same thing, the driver side flickered very little one time, while the passenger side flickered after 5 min the finally just cut out. I swapped the bulbs to see if it was the ballasts was the problem and it was. The passenger side ballast still kept cutting out. I'm going to send this set back and just hope for some good ones to come back to me. But with my luck, who knows... Thanks again.

I have the same kit (from the same member) on the TBSS and it works fine, but I did have to send back the first set b/c of a faulty ballast. Thats probably the issue, but before sending them back make sure all your connectors are seated completely... especially the big plug connecting to the ballast... the clips don't fit over the notch very well so you may have to pull the clips back a bit to get it to seat all the way.

• 5 months later...

as far as HID's go with the PILOT brand :cheers: i got thoes on my truk 6k!! yEA!!!!!! ima get my fogs done too, but i dont kno what to buy first, my HID kit of my rear LED tail light kit in blak, cause i have my headlights in black so i dont know, any suggestions???....but yea PILOT is the way to go ive had mine for like 2 yrs i think

post-12619-1207082201_thumb.jpg

post-12619-1207082207_thumb.jpg

post-12619-1207082221_thumb.jpg

as far as HID's go with the PILOT brand :cheers: i got thoes on my truk 6k!! yEA!!!!!! ima get my fogs done too, but i dont kno what to buy first, my HID kit of my rear LED tail light kit in blak, cause i have my headlights in black so i dont know, any suggestions???....but yea PILOT is the way to go ive had mine for like 2 yrs i think

Damn!

kind of an old topic dont ya think? haha oh by the way i have since then switched to a different hid kit. Mine had multiple problems n i just got fed up with sending the parts out and waiting for replacement..