Steering Shaft

NateZ

Im right at 35000 miles on my 03 now, with no more warrenty. My steering shaft noise/ratteling is starting to get pretty bad, but i dont think it really bothers me too much... Is it somthing i should be worried about? I dont want to be driving down the road and all of a sudden have no steering :ughdance: It has been a while admittadly since i have been on the forum, has a fix been found for this problem? Since i dont have warrenty anymore i cant just take it in and get a new shaft...

Thanks,

Nate

at the dealership I work at we usually just do it for free anyway ever if youre out of waranty. GM files it under "goodwill", sometimes you might have to pay the labor but I doubt it. Every dealership knows about the problem. Theres a bunch of threads about this just look around

mine went with only 900 miles on it. The past few weeks I've had the clunking come back. Right now it's just a real slight clunk or tapping in the steering wheel every once in a while, I'll do nothing about it till it gets to the point that I cant stand it anymore.

But does leaving this go cause anymore damage to things or open doors for safty issues?

Im right at 35000 miles on my 03 now, with no more warrenty. My steering shaft noise/ratteling is starting to get pretty bad, but i dont think it really bothers me too much... Is it somthing i should be worried about? I dont want to be driving down the road and all of a sudden have no steering :ughdance: It has been a while admittadly since i have been on the forum, has a fix been found for this problem? Since i dont have warrenty anymore i cant just take it in and get a new shaft...

Thanks,

Nate

I also have a 2003 with 37K and had the end shaft replaced at 20K under warranty. The word is that there exists some play between the square end of the steering shaft and the connector on the steering box. The initial fix was to fill the gap with Li grease. I was told repeatedly that there is no safety issues only and annoyance. Mine would clunk when turning from a flat surface onto a raised level such as my drive way. Even now when starting out from a dead stop I can feel the play through the shaft when turning. I would go back to he dealer and tell them that there was a warranty fix TSB and that you consider your existing condition to be a potential safety issue.

regards

beefer

I agree. It is a NOISE concern more than a SAFETY concern. I would also take ur low milage truck into the local dealership and see what they offer to do for you. Maybe even call GM customer assistance (# in owners manual) 1st and see what they will do for your Limited Edition Performance Truck.....

I agree. It is a NOISE concern more than a SAFETY concern. I would also take ur low milage truck into the local dealership and see what they offer to do for you. Maybe even call GM customer assistance (# in owners manual) 1st and see what they will do for your Limited Edition Performance Truck.....

Can any of you guys hook me up with that numer for GM customer assistance? I dont have a manual for my truck...

Thanks,

Nate

See if the dealer will "Good Will" it. I was talking to my service writer about something else and on parting I asked him if the new shafts are the "final fix" and he said they haven't had any return yet. I told him I was going to buy one and put it in and his reply was "Why don't you let us do it on warranty for you?" My truck is an 03 and almost a year and a half out of warranty. Took them about an hour. :chevy: