Transfer Case Blues...

Changing my oil the other day, I noticed my transfer case leaking around the seal where the yoke goes into the transfer case. SO i take it to the shop and the guy pulls out the 1st yoke and its beat up and actually cracked. :banghead:

" thats whats causing the leak, you just need a new yoke" he says. SO with an hour and a half drive to Danville,Ky I get a free yoke from the guy i bought the truck from. I bring it back and we put it in...130 bucks...not bad. I drive the truck a couple more days and its still leaking. I take it BACK to the shop and we pull the yoke out again and now theres a groove about 2 inches wide and about 3-4 mm deep.(keep in mind, i just replaced my transfer case 6 months ago.) Apparently the bushing that keeps the yoke in line is destroyed and now the whole case has to come out and be split apart to replace this bushing. :banghead:

Sorry for the usless post...Just needed to rant. :rant:

:shakehead: I've never heard of such a thing, sorry man. I know that BigTex has an extra transfer case and he was wanting to push it off on me a couple months ago, get in touch with him and see what he wants for it. I'm pretty sure you can find him on pt.net or lemme know if not, I can probably run him down for you...

Mr. P.

smoke03, why did you replace your TC in the first place,

Mark

I spun a bearing into the housing. Or atleast thats what they told me. Im lost when it comes to this kinda stuff... so im on my 2nd tc and it looks like its gonna have to come apart too

Mr.p thanks for the names...I may need them

SSthunder...next time im in danville ill look you up...and how would one go about getting in touch with you?

I spun a bearing into the housing. Or atleast thats what they told me. Im lost when it comes to this kinda stuff... so im on my 2nd tc and it looks like its gonna have to come apart too

Mr.p thanks for the names...I may need them

SSthunder...next time im in danville ill look you up...and how would one go about getting in touch with you?

I'll PM you my cell #.

Jeremy

• 9 months later...

Bringing an old post back to life here. I took my 03 in for the 90K service which included transfer case service. The truck has never had any issues with leaks at this point. After the service the transfer case started leaking. They replaced the seal and cleaned it up. I drove the truck a couple of times and the it continued to leak. They again replaced the seal. I drove it a couple of more times and now it is leaking again. I took it back in and now they are saying that because the truck is lowered, the driveshaft needs to be shortened since the yoke is cutting the seal? Sounds like total BS to me, especially after reading this post. They are refusing to replace it until I do something with the driveline. I'm taking it to another dealership to get another opinion.

Thoughts?

It does sound like BS to me. Get a second opinion. No one else to my knowledge on this board has had to shorten their driveshaft due to lowering the truck. How big of a drop do you have?

And kudos for using the search function!

EDIT: Oh...and snap a picture of the seal they are using. There are two types of transfer case seals where the yoke goes in. One is a much older version from the mid 90's that has a real short sleeve and then there is an updated one that has a longer sleeve on it. When I changed out my transfer case, the rebuilt one came with the old style seal. It leaked like a faucet turned on. The trans shop who did the install said the old style seal was the problem and they showed me the new longer seal. They swapped it out for $50 and it stopped leaking instantly. I could see wear marks on the yoke where there had been a longer sleeve rubbing on the yoke when the incorrect short seal was in there. I made a very nice phone call to the place who built the TC for me and they reimbursed me believe it or not. They apologized and said they had no clue how the old style seal made it in and would indeed cause a major leak. I think they outsourced it to a subcontractor builder to be honest, but thats another story.

Edited by Black2003SS (see edit history)

Bringing an old post back to life here. I took my 03 in for the 90K service which included transfer case service. The truck has never had any issues with leaks at this point. After the service the transfer case started leaking. They replaced the seal and cleaned it up. I drove the truck a couple of times and the it continued to leak. They again replaced the seal. I drove it a couple of more times and now it is leaking again. I took it back in and now they are saying that because the truck is lowered, the driveshaft needs to be shortened since the yoke is cutting the seal? Sounds like total BS to me, especially after reading this post. They are refusing to replace it until I do something with the driveline. I'm taking it to another dealership to get another opinion.

Thoughts?

if the driveshaft was too long you wouldnt have been able to install it in the first place. sounds like bs to me too. do you have the means to pop the old seal out on your own? i've seen guys score the inside lip of the t-case with a seal puller when they remove the old one for replacement, and that will create a repeat leak... course you'll never get the dealer to admit to it.