Building an SVT killer

In that scenario, even the NVG149 in the SS has no benefit because it can only redirect power from front to rear.  The front still has an open diff, so even in the SS probably the front tire on ice would get all the power

In that scenario, the NVG149 should direct the power almost 50/50 because the front and rear would probably spin at the same rate, it wouldnt direct all of the power to the front, So technically the 149 case would be better in that situation, because you would be spinning 3 wheels, or 2 if you dont have a rear posi. Also it would be constantly changing the ratio of front to rear to try and keep the speeds even so that you dont end up only spinning the front or rear only.

Hummer H2 uses a 4L65-E which I'm almost certain uses the same transfer cases as the 4L60-E, so the BW4484 should bolt on.  I don't know whether it's compatible with Silverado driveshafts though.  You'd have to count splines to know for sure.

Are you sure about that?? I thought they used the 4L80E in the H2s. If it does have the 4L60E then it would bolt up no problem.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In that scenario, the NVG149 should direct the power almost 50/50 because the front and rear would probably spin at the same rate, it wouldnt direct all of the power to the front, So technically the 149 case would be better in that situation, because you would be spinning 3 wheels, or 2 if you dont have a rear posi. Also it would be constantly changing the ratio of front to rear to try and keep the speeds even so that you dont end up only spinning the front or rear only.

Yes I think you're right. Although theoretically, if the 3 wheels had absolutely zero traction, they would just spin and spin while the one front wheel with traction would never get any power. In real life, I don't even think black ice will have zero traction. I think in real life, even the 60/40 open diff would be fine without the traction control.

Are you sure about that?? I thought they used the 4L80E in the H2s. If it does have the 4L60E then it would bolt up no problem.

Pretty sure, unless GM's webpage is wrong.

GM Transmission Link

Great info guys :thumbs:

Now I'm starting to wonder about my 4x4 setup. I wondered about the non-locking front diff, now it sounds like it's the weak link. In the real world I've never had a problem with traction in my 4x4 system like GnatGoSplat suggested.

I think I've heard about AWD cars with three viscous differentials. That should work like the Hummer then without using the traction control. I like the sounds of that Hummer system.

Are there any full size trucks with a locking diff in the front and rear and an AWD transfer case in the middle or three viscous diffs?

I think the H1 one has a torsen diff in the center or something like that. And the front and rear diff are torsen as well. Im almost positive about the center diff. Ive never got my dads Hummer to spin just the fronts or rears only. I wouldnt look to hard for one with some kind of posi type center diff, because all you have to do is lock in 4wd and it will be better than any other option out there.

other than the possiblility of the H1, there are no other trucks out there with a fulltime 4wd setup with a center diff like that. And the only option you have for traction up front in a 1500 chevy is a spool, or weld up your spider gears. So you are very limited, and there is no way you could do that on something with fulltime 4wd, you wont be able to turn.

Pretty sure, unless GM's webpage is wrong.

That suprises me, I would have thought that they would have at least put the 4L80E in that truck, they should have anyways

From what little I've read about Torsen diffs, they would be ideal front rear and center. I don't know why their use isn't more common... expensive licensing perhaps?

Anyway, I don't know of anything built on the GMT800 fullsize platform (Chevy/GMC fullsize) that has viscous coupling on the front diff. I think an open front diff is all you'll be able to get.

the H1 came with torsens front, rear, and center. the viscous i was referring to is what's used in the t-case for the front diff on the ss. eaton will soon be releasing an electronic locking diff like the H2 has in the rear for the front. awd is pretty nice, but for anyone in decent weather, there isn't much point in having the front tired powered on a sunny day. it's also nice to be able to light the tires or hook up at will with a touch of the button.

the H1 came with torsens front, rear, and center. the viscous i was referring to is what's used in the t-case for the front diff on the ss. eaton will soon be releasing an electronic locking diff like the H2 has in the rear for the front. awd is pretty nice, but for anyone in decent weather, there isn't much point in having the front tired powered on a sunny day. it's also nice to be able to light the tires or hook up at will with a touch of the button.

Sounds good to me. I'd like to be able to switch traction modes by turning on and off differentials. If the locking diff is on in the front though then there's no turning allowed right? I've driven around in AutoTrac on dry pavement. I like it, but dropped it out to make sure I didn't tear it up on turns. I'd like to be able to drive like that all the time.

With the locker in the front, you would still be able to turn, but it wouldnt turn as good as before and youd probably get a little tire chirping, but it would disengage enough to allow you to turn

The H2 doesnt have the same diff in the front as the 1500 trucks. It has the bigger 9.25" front diff found in the 2500s.

the auto-trak is supposed to be able to be driven around on dry pavement. when the locker is released it will be just like the arb lockers were. you'll be able to use 4wd just like normal and when you want the front locked together just push the button. turning with it locked would only be an option on dirt or something like it. as for the front diff on a 1500, i'm well aware of the differences. i was referring to the electronic locker being devoloped for the front of a 1500 that works in the same way as the locker used in the rear on an H2. check this out diff info with videos

I think I missed the first time it was brought up, does the SS have a different front diff than a regular 4x4? It's viscous?

Archived