questions for you guys

papi

i just purchased a 2003 silverado reg cab short bed with the 5.3 and 3.73 locking diff. here are my questions what is the weight of this truck, how much horsepower and torque is it actually putting to the ground and what are some 0 to 60 and quarter mile times for this truck. what types of bolt on performance parts do you guys suggest. i want to run in the low 13 second quarter mile. thanks

Using this calculator:

http://www.prestage.com/carmath/calc_etmph.asp

you can get a rough idea of what it will take.

Stock:

Weight 4142

Flywheel HP 285

Estimated Rear Wheel HP 228

Estimated ET 15.30

Add a Whipple supercharger, +45% HP :

Estimated Rear Wheel HP 330

Estimated ET 13.53

Average stock times for the 5.3 around here are 14.9-15.2 or so.

A friend of mine has a 2000 5.3 which we installed 4:10 gears, auburn locker, whipple charger, water injection, and some HPP3 tuning.

He also has exhaust but is still using the factory manifolds.

His best time to date is 13.062 at 104.4 mph and was ran on factory tires with 10lbs of boost.

RF

dcairns, you need to add for the driver. not to be critical of the numbers, but ~200# makes a difference. Sounds like a nice truck to start with. I would have to say it would be the way i would go as oppose to the SS if I ever were to sell my sould and go over to Chevy. I hope things work out for you and you build a hell of a truck....

-Joe

Joe-

You are right, I was in a hurry... I am supposed to be working here... :D I was mostly wanted to put up the resources for him so he could play with the numbers. Actually, I was suprised what at the difference the weight made between the SS and the reg cab Silverado on the projected ET. I better start working off a few pounds.. :D

Its funny you say that about working-out. I had a convo the other day after my calc final with some of my car buddies at school. One was like all into those racing glass windows for his chevy and was like "they take off 15 pounds" or something to the like. I responded with something to the likes of, "its cheaper to go to the gym and lose the same amount of weight you moron." nothing like 6 guys rolling around laughing.

-Joe

Archived