Sss.com Featured Truck Contest - November/december

Holty

Read about our contest nominees then vote for your favorit  

131 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the next SSS.com Featured Truck?

• BSER
    • Justin Lamanna
    • kelleyperformance

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BSER

I purchased my truck in early 2003. I told my wife these famous words “Honey it’s already a custom truck I won’t have to do anything with this one” her response was “yea right” as usual she was correct, I can’t leave anything stock.

bser1.JPG

I didn’t even get it out of the dealership before I started in on it. The dealer told me of a new Radix supercharger that he had just read about, I ordered it that day. I think I was one of the first to install it. By the way it now has 60k on it and no motor problems. I added a Corsa Cat back exhaust, Volant intake and thought I was done….no way!

bser2.JPG

bser3.JPG

The next series of mods came when I hosted the first SilveradoSS.Com Rally at my Line-X shop In Wichita, Ks. There I added electric fans, 160 thermostat, and SuperMax long tube headers and high flow cats. We raised the boost to 8.5 psi with a 2.9pulley. That Saturday we had a track day at the local drag strip and my transmission lasted for 2 passes then bit the dust. Our stock tranny doesn’t hold up well to over 500 HP.

With some help I got it back to the shop where I was lucky enough to get my transmission rebuilt that day. We added a hardened drum, Kevlar bands a shift kit and billet servos.

bser6.JPG

bser7.JPG

I later added a TCS 2800 stall converter to take advantage of the extra ponies and performance transmission. I purchased a custom cam from BenKey that he brought to the rally with him and installed that when I added converter. With Hp tuners to tune the truck to all these mods, I run low 12’s in the quarter mile with a best of 12.01 at 111. I still surprise a lot of guys at the stop light drags; the guys at the track know better. All these mods were because Zippy had to start a track time section to the site that got my competitive side going. To slow all this speed down I added Baers’ EradiSpeed break system. To show off those cross drilled rotors I put on a set of 22” Raceline forged wheels with Nittto rubber. This combo actually weighs 2 lbs less each than the stock 20’s.

bser5.JPG

The appearance mods started with a billet grill and Shopman billet SS bow tie. I lowered it 2 inches at all four corners for a more aggressive stance. I couldn’t find a rollpan that would fit so I made my own, the guys at the Rally liked it so much I started making them for the members SivleradoSS.com and that’s how the BSER roll pan was born. Again I thought I was done but Mother Nature stepped in with a hail storm that sent it to the body shop to replace almost every panel on the truck.

Since it had to be repainted anyway I decided to add to the “which is faster controversy” by applying a two tone black/red paint job. I couldn’t find a separating pin-stripe color I liked so I made a custom molding to separate the colors. I’m especially proud of this molding because I made it by hand from aluminum bar stock; it took over 60 hrs over a two week period to get it right. The interior has a pillar mounted gauge pod for the boost gauge and air fuel ratio gauge. The seats are Black Katsin leather with silver inserts and red thread at the seams. I had a local upholstery shop add the silver door inserts and modify the center console to match the seats.

bser8.JPG

bser4.JPG

bser9.JPG

I have entered it in 3 car shows where I have taken first place in my class all 3 times. One was a major regional truck show where I got the best daily driven sport truck trophy from “Truckin” magazine. I have to thank all the guys at this site that helped me out with ideas, technical help and advice. It never would have gone this far or been as nice without your help. I’ve looked at new trucks but so far there isn’t anything out there that looks as nice as an SSS. I think it’s done now, but you never know.

thanks,

Bob (BSER)

Edited by Holty (see edit history)

Justin Lamanna

2003 Chevy Silverado SS

11.99 @ 112 MPH

justinlamanna1.JPG

Performance:

• Kenne Bell 2.2L 90mm Supercharger -Non Intercooled

• ETP 225 chamber, 11 degree Head w/ stage 3 valves/springs

• Custom grind Comp Cam (224º-226º /.591"-.600" @114ºlsa)

• 90mm FAST Intake

• 90mm LS6 Throttle Body Conversion-Speartech Harness

• 8 Rib Pulley Set-up w/ Overdrive Crank Pulley

• Rollmaster Dual Chain Set w/ Torrington Bearing

• Trick Flow Chromalloy Push Rods

• ARP Head Studs

• Corvette Valley Pan

• 60 lbs Fuel Injectors

• FAST Fuel Rails

• Walbro 255lph In-Line Fuel Pump

• Aeromotive Compact EFI Fuel Regulators 35-70 psi

• Taylor 409 Race-Fit Pro Race Spark Plug Wires, 10.4mm

• NGK TR6 Spark Plugs, .032 gap

• Dynatech Long Tube Headers w/ gutted Dynatech Converts

• Custom Dual Exhaust with Cut-Outs

• Transgo HD2 Shift Kit w/ Billet Servos

• Trailblazer 2800 Torque Converter

• Flex-A-Lite Duel Electric Fans

• 160˚ Thermostat

• Yellow Top Battery

• Tuning done by Ed Wright @ FASTCHIPS

Styling:

• Good Mark Steel Cowl Hood

• BF Goodrich G-Force Tires, 295-40-20

• Belltech 2” front and rear drop (spindles and shackles) w/ 2* shims

• GM Factory Fog Lights

• BSER Custom Roll Pan

• Hidden Hitch

• Kenne Bell Fuel Pressure/ Boost Gauges

• Ultra Lift Tonneau Cover w/ Gas Struts

• Bed Rug

justinlamanna2.JPG

My Story:

I purchased my SS right after I graduated college Memorial Day weekend 2003. My first vehicle every! Ironically I was looking at buying a Z71 when I saw this sweet ass truck being trailered in. At the time I was unaware of the unique nature of the SS. Everywhere I went people complimented my truck. To this day I don’t think there is a time ever that I do not receive a compliment when I drive it. Yelling, thumbs up or a vehicle rev is quite common.

justinlamanna3.JPG

A couple weeks after the purchase I was a regular at our local area drag strip. My competitive nature pushed me to better my ET’s. I was very uneducated at the time until I meet what today turns out to be my best friends at the World of Wheels Car Show in Pittsburgh. There was a black Camaro SS there, sharp-clean looking and made a lot of power. Instant eye catcher. So naturally I had to talk with the owner who ironically was the same age as me, 22. After talking with him I was impressed with his 400HP heads/cam setup and found out all the work was done by him and his brother who turned out to have a WS6 himself. His car housed a 427 naturally aspirated engine that dynoed at 535HP. So these were the guys in my area that new their stuff on ls1 engines. For months I tried to get them to make my truck fast and they always respectfully declined. Finally they gave in and let me watch/learn during my transformation: Kenne Bell SC, headers and exhaust were my first purchases. With Kenne Bells tuning on 4lbs of boost it helped me run high low 14’s. After a tune by FASTCHIPS and a little more boost we broke into the 13.70’s.

justinlamanna4.JPG

justinlamanna5.JPG

Memorial Day 2004 I purchased a second car because it was cheaper for me instead of driving my SS daily with such high gas prices. Ever penny I had was put towards future modifications. Appearance wise I prefer the stock-clean look of a SSS but engine wise is where most of my modifications are found. In the summer of 2005 I went with my new friends to the Crusin’ Ocean City Car Cruise. So I added a BSER role pan, bed rug, GM factory fog lights, and toneau cover for appearance purposes prior to the 4 day event. The transmission received a shift kit and servos for a little head snapping action.

After seeing so many fast street cars there I really got the itch for more aggressive mods: a mild cam, transmission shift kit/servos, 8 lbs of boost helped me break into the 12’s. Little did I know that my goal would soon get changed to 11 seconds.

justinlamanna6.JPG

justinlamanna7.JPG

Prior to the 2006 season the more technical upgrades started. Completely porting the stock Kenne Bell supercharger to 90mm for a Corvette throttle body upgrade. Relocation of the stock water neck pump for belt/hose clearances for a 90mm FAST intake. Fully fabricating the inlet tubing between the supercharger and intake. FAST fuel rails, 60 lbs injectors, an aggressive cam and ET 225 heads finished it off. These additions/ changed help me run a personal best of 12.16.

justinlamanna8.JPG

January of this year I added a Belltech 2 inch drop all the way around, 2” cowl hood and had an 8-rib pulley system machined to eliminate belt slip. The pulleys helped out so much that 11’s were finally accomplished: 11.99 @ 112.

justinlamanna9.JPG

justinlamanna10.JPG

All of this would not have been possible with out the expertise of my great friends and their facility, Senge Auto Body/ Senge High Performance, which housed my truck for countless hours at a time to fulfill my passion of cars or in this case my truck. My SSS has allowed me to make so many new friends along the way

Today my truck has 24,431 miles on it, complete stock low end, original transmission and runs 11.99 on street tires without an intercooler. I am extremely happy with this truck and am currently planning on building an N/A 12.25:1 511cid LSX block, 300 shot of NOS and 22” CCW wheels.

As a supporting member, should I win the “FTC” I will give back all my winnings to the Silverado SS community for some type of raffle the moderators choose appropriate:

1: $100 Gift Certificate from Tbyrne Motorsports

2: A gift pack from Revolution Race Works

3: SilveradoSS.com hat, decals, and a key chain

There are a lot of great looking trucks on the site and I am honored to be nominated amongst such company. Thanks for taking time to read my story and thanks for your votes!

Very truly,

-Justin Lamanna

kelleyperformance

kelleyperformance%20(1).jpg

I received my SSS in June 2006, brand new. At first it was just going to be a dealer demo, as all my previous vehicles were. I only had a few mods in mind, all very simple. They needed to be simple in order to sell the vehicle at the end of its 4,000 mile demo service.

It began small, with a CAI and a BBK 80mm TB. I had already tuned it, of course, and was constantly messing with it. I made 293 whp. After about a month, I had lowered it 1"/2", and put some 22" Eagle 026 wheels and tires on it. I soon became bored with the power, and bought a radix blower. Not even a month after the blower was installed, I killed the slush box. I then made my own trans similar to the FLT 5, using FLT for strength. From there the cycle continued, starting with a cat-back and not ending until the engine block was the only thing factory in the drive train. Of course, after this much I realized I wasn’t going to sell this one. After enduring the extremely noisy setup for too long, I decided to end the piston slap for good. The engine was rebuilt with GM Performance Parts, including dished LQ4 pistons with valve reliefs. Today the truck puts down over 502 whp and 517 wtq, and I still have plans to add more power.

kelleyperformance%20(2).jpg

kelleyperformance%20(3).jpg

kelleyperformance%20(4).jpg

Mods are as follows:

Performance/Suspension:

502whp/517wtq

Magnasun Intercooled Eaton MP112 Supercharger

SFPHQ 2.85” Supercharger Pulley (Performance)

SFPHQ 3.20” Supercharger Pulley (Towing)

K&N 77 Series Cold Air Induction

NGK TR6 Spark Plugs (.035”)

Belltech 3” Drop Leaf Springs

Belltech 2” Drop Spindles

Belltech Nitro-Active Shocks

GroundForce Adjustable Drop Torsion Keys

HPTuners Custom Dyno Tune

Custom Dual 21/2” Magnaflow Exhuast (Dual Split Side Exit)

Dynatech 13/4” Long Tube Headers

GMPP 6.098” Connecting Rods

Lingenfelter Connecting Rod Bolts

GM LQ4 Teflon-Coated Pistons

GMPP LS7 Lifters

Lingenfelter Ported/High Pressure Oil Pump

Yank TT2600 Torque Converter

GM Performance LS2 CNC 250cc Cylinder Heads

Lingenfelter GT2-3 Camshaft

MSD 58lb Fuel Injectors

Mr. Gasket 160o Thermostat

Walbro 255lph In-Tank Fuel Pump

Magnaflow High-flow Catalytic Converters

BBK 80mm Throttle Body

Baer Alumisport Brake Kit (Front)

Baer Disc Conversion Kit, Alumisport (Rear)

Transgo HD-2 Shift Kit

B&M Transmission SuperCooler

Sonnax “Superhold” Servos, Pin, Springs

Sonnax Kevlar 2-4 Clutch Band

FLT “Beast” Sunshell Kit

FLT Racing Forward/Reverse Clutch Packs

FLT Racing 3-4 Clutches

Transgo Zinc-Plated Valve Body Spacer Plate

FLT Cyro-Treated Sleeved Input Drum

kelleyperformance%20(5).jpg

kelleyperformance%20(6).jpg

kelleyperformance%20(7).jpg

Exterior/Interior:

20% Windshield Tint

5% Window Tint

Phillips 6000k HID Lighting (9006)

Luminics Titanium 125 Watt Bulbs (9005)

Silverstar “Stealth” Bulbs

Trenz Polished GM Bowtie

22x9.5 Eagle 026 Chrome Wheels

305/40/22 Toyo Proxies

NuImage Stainless Face Gauges

AutoMeter Ultralite Boost Gauge

AutoMeter Ultralite Air to Fuel Gauge

US Speedo Blue/Stainless Gauge Needles

SnugTop Fiberglass Tonneau Cover

Recon “Smoked” LED Third Taillight

Carriage Works 5-Piece Billet Grill

Custom Antenna Delete

Custom Shaved Tailgate

Custom “Supercharged” Badging

kelleyperformance%20(8).jpg

kelleyperformance%20(9).jpg

Sound/Electrical: 1300 Watts RMS

Eclipse 6600 DVD/Navigation 6.5” Head Unit

Eclipse Rear View Camera

GM 165 Amp Alternator

Dual Optima Yellow-Top Batteries

“Big 3” Wiring Upgrade

Eclipse Sirius Satellite Radio

Custom iPod Interface (With Video Input)

Kenwood eXcelon 1000 Watt Monoblock Amplifier

2x Infinity 12” Kappa Perfect 1600 Watt Subwoofers

JL Audio A4300 4 Channel Amplifier (300/4)

JL Audio ZR-650 CSi Component Speakers

Polk/MOMO 4x6 Component Speakers

2 Gauge Monster Power Wire

10 Gauge Rockford Fosgate Speaker Wire