My Brakes Are Shot, What To Replace With?

ApacheBL

Well, I just got a call from the dealer. My 2004 Silverado SS has always had mediocre at best braking. I have ~65K miles on the truck, and needed new tires, so I told the shop to check the brakes. They say that the rear rotors are so far gone that resurfacing is not an option. So, I've had it. I'm getting everything new.

Now, I need to decide what to get. Obviously, I need new rear rotors. I'll do the front at the same time. Would you go with a complete upgrade to calipers, rotors, and pads? Just rotors and pads? Will the extra money spent on new calipers (from Wilwood, Baer, or Brembo) be worth it compared to just a rotor / pad upgrade?

I'm leaning toward new rotors and pads. Which manufacturer? I have a hard time locating rotors for the rear on a 2004. Any ideas?

Oh, and should I get braided lines? What are the pros / cons on braided lines?

Thank you so much for your input.

Got drilled and slotted rotors on ebay from brake designs (I think). I also went with Hawk ceramic pads and the earl's steel brake lines. It is a great upgrade. Be sure to seat the pads well. All in, about $500 if you do the work yourself. Or you could spend a ton on baers or Wilwoods.

Hawk Pads and Power Slot Rotors.....a low cost upgrade that will definitely give you better brake feel without having to change calipers, brackets, etc. Prices are comparable to AC Delco replacement parts. You can get them from TByrne Motorsports. :chevy:

Thanks for the tips guys. I'm thinking the following...

- PowerSlot Plus (14") front and rear (though I can't find the rear for sale anywhere!)

- Hawk HPS pads

- Earl's Hyperfirm Braided lines

From what I read, this setup is pretty popular, and for ~$1K it will be money well spent. Here is hoping! :)

Another question....

For the rear PowerSlot Plus rotors, PowerSlow speficies that the rotors will only work on truck with a factory rear rotor thickness of 18.5mm. Can anyone tell me if this is the thickness of the 04 SSS rotors? Had anyone put the PowerSlot Plus on the rear????

Thanks!

I answered my own question on the rear rotors. PowerSlot says the stock needs to be a MIN of 18.5mm. Me must read it more better closer time after this..... :yellow_loser:

Fireman31 - Yeah, I'm sure you're right. But that isn't really saying much, considering how craptastic those stock brakes are. I've priced out the stock size from PowerSlot vs. the PowerSlot Plus, and it looks like I'm only paying an extra $45 / per rotor, so what the heck. I'll give it a shot, though I wonder if the larger space and better heat dissipation will ever be noticable for a rush-hour bumper to bumper warrior like me...

Fireman31 - Yeah, I'm sure you're right. But that isn't really saying much, considering how craptastic those stock brakes are. I've priced out the stock size from PowerSlot vs. the PowerSlot Plus, and it looks like I'm only paying an extra $45 / per rotor, so what the heck. I'll give it a shot, though I wonder if the larger space and better heat dissipation will ever be noticable for a rush-hour bumper to bumper warrior like me...

Yeah I can't say I have felt how craptastic ( :lol: ) the brakes are on AWD SSSs. The discs/drums on my RWD SSS were never really that bad, I just wanted a little more bite thats why I upgraded to better rotors/pads. The only thing I noticed with the pad/rotor combo I have is that they tend to get noisy when hot in traffic, otherwise they are fine, minimal fade/noise all around. :chevy:

I went with earls lines and hawk pads. I blew threw the hawk pads pretty quick. I don't think they are that great. I am back to stock not a detectable difference. Plus they last longer. The stainless lines are nice. Unless you spend the cash for bigger brakes you still get the stock mush feeling.

Has anyone determined if Hawk has pads for the 2004? On all vendor sites, as well as the Hawk Performance site, it skips from 2003 to 2005. Any ideas?

As far as I know, the AWD models no matter the year had the same brakes, so 2003's pads should fit. The problem was the RWD models, Hawk doesn't make a pad for them to fit the larger PBRII calipers. :chevy:

Edited by Fireman31 (see edit history)

I got some slotted rotors for the front cause mine were shot, I just bought some cheap ass $40 brake pads from the parts store cause they are supposedly softer and wont tear up the rotors as fast. Its a lot easier and cheaper to change just the pads once or twice a year. Where is the cheapest place to get braided steel lines???