Sub 0*F engine noise at startup.

marc_w

Guys, I'm getting a mild tapping/knocking sound for about 10 seconds after a completely cold startup. It's been below 0* these last few mornings.

Is it my 5w30 taking a little while to get to the lifters, or is it the dreaded piston slap?

The only way I can describe it, is a couple of knocks a second at ~1,000rpm. It's a good deep sounding noise. I may be able to record it tomorrow morning.

I'm not too worried about it, just wondering if it's happening with other vehicles. I vaguely recall my old 5.3 making the noise, to a lesser extent -- it didn't drop this cold for too long the year I owned it.

Yeah, I figure it's one of the two. It doesn't sound 'sickly' or anything, it's just there. It did it again this afternoon. It started up quiet, but the ticking came in about 10-15 seconds after it was already running.

I'll get that sound clip in the AM.

Thanks.

If you are in a place with sub 0 temps. i would recommend using 10W30. Thats what i use and at 15 below it starts just fine.

The thickness of the oil at cold temps will not have much to do whether it starts or not, but it can have an affect on how quick the oil gets pumped through the system. Startup is the critical time.

Archived