Jeep Grand Cherokee

chevygal

Anyone ever own a Jeep and how did you like it? I am starting to think about MAYBE selling the SS and buying an 08 Grand Cherokee. It's got a 6.1 liter and 425hp., 20" wheels, and a ton of goodies that are standard. Not sure about the towing, though I am not towing anything right now either but I like to have the option. The specs said not recommended but I may have misread something.

Anyone ever own a Jeep and how did you like it? I am starting to think about MAYBE selling the SS and buying an 08 Grand Cherokee. It's got a 6.1 liter and 425hp., 20" wheels, and a ton of goodies that are standard. Not sure about the towing, though I am not towing anything right now either but I like to have the option. The specs said not recommended but I may have misread something.

If you have to get a JGC at least get the SRT8... otherwise stick with the SS IMO.

cherokee_homepage.jpg

Hey Chevygal ...

My buddies and I rented a (2002) Jeep Grand Cherokee a few years back for a week. We went up and all around Canada with it. Personally ... I absolutely hated it!!! Rode stiff, for no reason. It is a glorified grocery getter, no supped up performance ... Back seat killed your lower back. But ... that is just me ... you may feel differnet about it.

We rented it through Enterpise Rental ... see if a rental place around you has one, and rent it for the weekend ... put a ton of miles on it, and see how YOU like it ...

JMHO ... and my $.02 to boot!!!!!

Sounds like you are looking at the JGCSRT8 as they are the only ones to have the 425hp 6.1L. $47K and 13.2 in the 1/4. Towing is not recommended as they come with a factory stall converter. Would be a fun ride tho. :cheers:

Edited by shreveportSS (see edit history)

It is the SRT8. I should have clarified that. Sorry. I'm not serious about it yet but it looks sharp. Only problem is if I'm not able to enjoy the SS's speed, what am I going to do with 425hp? I'll be in jail, lol. I love my SS but sometimes it's a pain trying to park it and I hardly use the space in the bed except when I go skiing. Oh well, for now I'll just keep my eyes on my SS and stop flirting with other vehicles.

It is the SRT8. I should have clarified that. Sorry. I'm not serious about it yet but it looks sharp. Only problem is if I'm not able to enjoy the SS's speed, what am I going to do with 425hp? I'll be in jail, lol. I love my SS but sometimes it's a pain trying to park it and I hardly use the space in the bed except when I go skiing. Oh well, for now I'll just keep my eyes on my SS and stop flirting with other vehicles.

You did clarify what you where interested in in your first post (6.1 w/420hp 20" wheels) people just don't read. If I didn't need a pick-up truck that is what I would be driving. Those SRT8's are a monster. Comfy wise, you really would need to test drive that model not just a reg. GC to know if you really liked it. You would have to change the exhaust to allow room for a tow hitch and then they are only rated for 3500 lbs. You would also have to change off those tires for New England winter driving. G/L

I have had two jeeps, one 1999 Grand Cherokee limited and one 1996 cherokee. My brother has a 2005 grand cherokee and my dad a 2004 grand. Personally I like them, but they have their share of problems. Mostly are easy fixes, shocks going out, flinicky electrical that needs fuses. Dealers suck but the same can be said with most dealers. If you take care of it should be fine, but go easy on the tranny. On both my jeeps that I have owned they both went out.

i think that the srt-8 is so sic. and it'll smoke the ss but the only downfall is that i read it only gets 8-11 miles to the gallon. the numbers keep changing in the reviews that i have read tho so mabye you'll do better than that but first things first you should test drive one. they rock

This is like the Price is Right, lol. I wish they'd upgrade our SSs. Then it would be a no brainer. It seems like everyone on the block is getting faster than our trucks. I'm not all that keen on modding mine. Too many problems later on. Plus, I've got the extended warranty and I don't want any hassels with that. I'll probably keep the SS for now. It's almost paid for anyway. I just liked the idea of something a little easier to maneuver but in that respect, I could always go with a TBSS!