Something Is Broken In The Motor

Simon

Well, I was going to an appointment this morning when I suddenly hear a loud bang from the motor. I realize that I lost about 75% of the power and the big bang is occcuring at every rotation of the motor. Still don't know what it could be...I made a search but came up with nothing similar. Had the truck towed. To start the motor back, I needed to give close to full throttle to get it going and then it would die and not idle. All that with the great bang.

I was thinking it would be a valve that fell in the cylinder but i'm not sure anymore. I think it's more from the bottom...

Does anyone know what's happening?

Something collapsed. Sounds to me like a problem with either the crank or the camshaft (especially if it happens with every rotation)...

I'm sure someone else has a more knowledgeable opinion, but I would NOT try to start it until you know what the problem is, you'll more than likely end up doing more damage the more it runs.

FWIW I would say you collapsed a pushrod or the camshaft failed in some way...

Thanks for your support guys! I heard that there would be a recall from Comp Cam is that possible?

I know now that it is from the top we'll se as the covers are removed...

Pull the plugs first, you'll find the offending cylinder. If there was a loud dramatic bang then something is seriously wrong, I would expect the worst like yeah swallowing a valve. But that would be the fault of the retainer, not the spring itself.

Mr. P.

Comp cam has recalled all 918 springs with batch numbers listed below. Call Chris Mays at Comp Cams at 901-795-2400 extension 505 or [email protected] and they will next day updated springs. I just installed mine 3 month ago batch #049045. They will be coming out shortly.

1) 49253

2) 049045

3) 49826

4) 050808

5) 051791

Just came back, it is a spring that broke and the valve is broken in two and all the parts are stuck in the head...the piston has the side of the valve nailed in and the cylinder is marked pretty bad. I think I'll need to oversize but don't know how much.

how much oversize is needed for a 370 and for a 408 and what kind of piston or overhauled stuff I need?

Edited by Simon (see edit history)

Just came back, it is a spring that broke and the valve is broken in two and all the parts are stuck in the head...the piston has the side of the valve nailed in and the cylinder is marked pretty bad. I think I'll need to oversize but don't know how much.

how much oversize is needed for a 370 and for a 408 and what kind of piston or overhauled stuff I need?

.030 :thumbs: is what your lookin for! Need to know more about what you want the truck to do for you, to determine what parts you would need. JE offer's flat top and -29 dish.