Tranny temps

Right now My tranny is running really hot then it used to. It's running right below 150 mark for normal driving :confused: and under hard acceleration it gets to 150...... I checked the fluid and it seems to me right on. On one side of the stick where the hatch marks are it doesnt even make it to them but I turn the stick over and fluid is right in the hatch mark area.

Right now My tranny is running really hot then it used to. It's running right below 150 mark for normal driving :confused: and under hard acceleration it gets to 150...... I checked the fluid and it seems to me right on. On one side of the stick where the hatch marks are it doesnt even make it to them but I turn the stick over and fluid is right in the hatch mark area.

Wipe the stick clean, and keep checking till you get consistant results. I assume you are checking it running, in park, and at full temp.

150 is a little warm, but wouldn't concern me too bad. but your tranny problems are a concern. Does the fluid appear scorched, does it smell burnt?

A quick way to get some answers, maybe. Drain the fliud and take a look at it. See what it smells like, any metal shavings, etc... The best way would be to just drop the pan because most of the metal, if any, will stick to the magnet.

If I really thought something was wrong, but wasn't sure, I'd drop pan and change filter and fluid. Then if everything looked okay, put the new filter in and change it our with 100% synthetic Mobil 1 ATF, or Amsoil. Some places will do the swap for you, if you provide the fluid and get in all 12 qts, instead of 4-5 when you just drop the pan.

Bottom line, you need to drive it without dogging it, unless you want it to break. Not that hard to do.

This is what I'm going to do. As soon as I get my shift kit and converter in the mail I'm going to bring it in and have a full check done on it and replace anything thats worn or broke and then have the shift kit and converter installed after that. Then It should be back to normal again and I will try this time to take it easy on the tranny....no 40mph downshifts etc.

.....and I will try this time to take it easy on the tranny....no 40mph downshifts etc.

Maybe no downshifts, but wait until you feel how that new stall will hook to the ground. 3000 stall? Radix + 3000 = four wheel spins - at least on damp pavement. A few more mods after that and it will hook on dry pavement - for sure.

So........I don't think you're going to be able to "take it easy" :D JMO

Archived