Cats Killed Engine

SRT10KLLR

Get their response in writing .... then call GM customer service.

:withstupid:

i dealt with them also, they are there to help the customer with issues that come up. after the claim number is given it may take a few days to return a call to you, let the process go thou and KEEP your cool when talking to them, there are there to help and not be yelled at... they have to contact the dealer and get there side of the story. after my issues were completed i got a 100,00 mi warranty with 0 duct

free for my inconvenience :chevy::thumbs:

good luck

:seeya:

The cel was not blinking when I saw it but the day th truck shut off on the freeway I was not there so I am not sure if it switched to a blinking cel.

The dealer told my brother in law that it would be 5K to replace the engine. They have not called him since then(yesterday) so I don;t know the status.

Does anyone have the GM customer care service number?

was the truck driven slowly? was it driven for short trips? its very possible that the driving of the sister/sister inlaw caused the cats to go bad. but either way its still underwarrenty. heres their point of view on it. 3yrs is up this month, they figure if they hold you guys off till next year then possibly they dont have to pay for it. youll win, theyll lose.

Does anyone have the GM customer care service number?

hope this helps..

Customer Assistance

Information

Customer Satisfaction Procedure

Your satisfaction and goodwill are important to

your dealer and to Chevrolet. Normally, any concerns

with the sales transaction or the operation of your

vehicle will be resolved by your dealer’s sales or service

departments. Sometimes, however, despite the best

intentions of all concerned, misunderstandings can

occur. If your concern has not been resolved to your

satisfaction, the following steps should be taken:

STEP ONE: Discuss your concern with a member of

dealership management. Normally, concerns can

be quickly resolved at that level. If the matter has

already been reviewed with the sales, service or parts

manager, contact the owner of the dealership or

the general manager.

STEP TWO: If after contacting a member of dealership

management, it appears your concern cannot be

resolved by the dealership without further help, contact

the Chevrolet Customer Assistance Center by calling

1-800-222-1020. In Canada, contact GM of Canada

Customer Communication Centre in Oshawa by calling

1-800-263-3777 (English) or 1-800-263-7854 (French).

We encourage you to call the toll-free number in order

to give your inquiry prompt attention. Please have

the following information available to give the Customer

Assistance Representative:

Vehicle Identification Number (This is available from

the vehicle registration or title, or the plate at the

top left of the instrument panel and visible through

the windshield.)

Dealership name and location

Vehicle delivery date and present mileage

When contacting Chevrolet, please remember that your

concern will likely be resolved at a dealer’s facility.

That is why we suggest you follow Step One first if you

have a concern.

STEP THREE: Both General Motors and your dealer

are committed to making sure you are completely

satisfied with your new vehicle. However, if you continue

to remain unsatisfied after following the procedure

outlined in Steps One and Two, you should file with the

GM/BBB Auto Line Program to enforce any additional

rights you may have. Canadian owners refer to

your Warranty and Owner Assistance Information

booklet for information on the Canadian Motor Vehicle

Arbitration Plan (CAMVAP).

7-2

good luck

:seeya:

Update:

I went with my brother in law to the dealer today and they said it would cost 7K to rebuild the engine or 8K for a new one including the r&r. The 3 year 36 month warranty ended on the 5th of Dec but it only has 34K miles. The engine went out completely on the freeway on Dec the 16. We told them we felt the engine damage was caused by the faulty cat and that it should be covered under warranty. He said he would talk to his district manager to see if they could help offset some of the costs.

He said that he did not think the cats could have caused that engine damage but would check it out and get back to us today.

• 1 month later...

Update:

My brother in law had the dealer where he bought the Suburban pick it up since he has purchased 3 vehicles from them over the last couple of years. They picked it up two weeks later because they were busy and went through it. They said it had little or no compression on a couple of cylinders and they would have to tear into it in order to know what the cause was.

If after teardown it turns out to be abuse he would be liable for the teardown and reinstall of components. They said it would be about $1400 for them to perform that work. They took it apart and discovered that the exhaust valves were burnt and agreed with my initial assessment that the clogged cats caused the engine damage. They think the excess heat from the cats damaged the engine.

Now for the bad part:

They say that because the vehicle was driven after the CEL came on that they will only cover 60% and only as a sign of good will.

We called the Customer Care number and they just reiterated what the dealer said. Aparantly the district manager made the call and it is "Final".

I don't think he should have to pay anything since they are admitting that the cats killed the engine and they are covered for 8/80. But they are saying that it was driven after the CEL came on and that added to the damage.

My question to them was "what is a reasonable amount of time to take it in to the dealer to find out why the CEL came on". It was not the blinking CEL just a normal one so anything could have caused it to light up even leaving the gas cap off can do that on some cars. Are you supposed to pull over to the side of the road and have it towed to the nearest dealer immediately. The engine shut off about 20-25 miles from the house the day after the CEL came on and the nearest dealer is about a 15 mile drive.

I mean if you are coming home from work and get a CEL do you still drive home or drive straight to the dealer.

I just pulled the engine out of my Silverado to install the 408 and offered it to my brother in law but even if he does not want to get the engine replaced at the dealer he would still have to pay them for the work they have done so far.

He is going to have to contact an attorney if he want total resolution on this.