Royal Purple For More Hp?

KissMySilvSS

I was watching one of those car shows on Spike this morning (Power Block TV) and they did a comparison between standard auto store 5W30 (don't know if it was syn or not) on a SB Chevy on the dyno. After making a pull at 6500 RPM's, they switched the filter and oil for Royal Purple synthetic 5W30. They made another pull at 6500 RPM's and made 8HP more than with the standard stuff.

So I guess my question is, since I use Mobil 1 and not the general brand, would switching to Royal Purple still give me gains?

Teddy :chevy:

I was watching one of those car shows on Spike this morning (Power Block TV) and they did a comparison between standard auto store 5W30 (don't know if it was syn or not) on a SB Chevy on the dyno. After making a pull at 6500 RPM's, they switched the filter and oil for Royal Purple synthetic 5W30. They made another pull at 6500 RPM's and made 8HP more than with the standard stuff.

So I guess my question is, since I use Mobil 1 and not the general brand, would switching to Royal Purple still give me gains?

Teddy :chevy:

I seen the same show...got to admit I questioned the results? Made me switch to synthetics, not RP though too exspensive.

If I recall the comparison in that episode was conventional 5W30 vs Royal Purple. Like Bryan mentioned, RP is a sponsor, that was probably more a less an advertising gig than a real comparison. Besides RP is expensive, like $12 per quart. I personally will stick with Mobil 1. :chevy:

Ive been using mobil 1 for a couple years now and and on my last oil change i switched to royal purple and i didnt feel a difference nor did i notice if the truck idles better or accelerates better so I would say if you running mobil 1 thats what i would stay with.

+1 good stuff

RP XPR — eXtreme Performance Racing oils are formulated for applications such as racing, modified engines and off-road use. XPR’s high film strength make it exceptionally well-suited for today’s high performance cars and trucks, particularly turbo and supercharged engines and / or engines using a nitrous boost.