Little Help Please

nkurs365@uwsp.edu

I have a check engine light on and got it checked at autozone. The codes came up as P0449 & P0455 these codes say that the purge or vent solenoid is defective, so should I get a new purge valve solenoid does this sound right. Also what does this do exactly and where is it located.

Thanks

Nate

I have a check engine light on and got it checked at autozone. The codes came up as P0449 & P0455 these codes say that the purge or vent solenoid is defective, so should I get a new purge valve solenoid does this sound right. Also what does this do exactly and where is it located.

Thanks

Nate

Did you recently fill your gas tank? If so did you top off after the nozzle shut off kicked in? If you topped off it is possible that you flooded the vapor canister, but usually when these codes are thrown it means that you have a loose gas cap. Check your gas cap and re-tighten. :chevy:

Its definately not the gas cap I checked that. As for the gas smell there is none everything seems normal, just kind of wondering if this is bad to be driving like it like this, and if I replace that purge valve solenoid will it fix it.

I would say go uncap your gas cap and retighten it and give it a day or two and if its not off by then, then I would look into the purge valve solenoid. I wouldn't see any harm coming from this if you let it go for now

Re-tighten the gas cap, it takes several drive cycles, 2-3 days worth to make that light go out. It is possible too that you have a defective gas cap also........having to replace the vent solenoid is a rare occurence. :chevy:

• 3 weeks later...

Ok I have driven pry about 500 miles and the light is still on and now today my truck started to start really rough. The first turn almost sounds like the starter sticks when I turn the key and release the starter will run for an extra second. Then when I crank a second time it has to crank a little to start. Could this be caused by this vent solenoid problem??

Ok I have driven pry about 500 miles and the light is still on and now today my truck started to start really rough. The first turn almost sounds like the starter sticks when I turn the key and release the starter will run for an extra second. Then when I crank a second time it has to crank a little to start. Could this be caused by this vent solenoid problem??

Your starter issue is probably totally unrelated to the code. It sounds as if your starter is on the way out. Check your battery while your at it. With your other issue, I would start by replacing the gas cap, then move to the vent solenoid and vapor canister as a last resort. :chevy:

Edited by Fireman31 (see edit history)

Ok so the starter thing just up and stopped starts fine now, I have no idea what that was. As for the gas cap what exactly would be wrong with it that I am throwing a code ?? Also one other question My tuck just started to get a lot of steering wheel shake or vibrations from like 25-55 or so when i am at highway speeds there is nothing but at lower speeds the steering wheel shakes alot and I will get an occasional pull from the truck. The only thing I can think of that did this is I bumped the curb while parking while the wheels were fully cranked and literally just a light nudge not that hard. Do you guys think that this is an allignment problem or what. Thanks so much for the help

Ok so the starter thing just up and stopped starts fine now, I have no idea what that was. As for the gas cap what exactly would be wrong with it that I am throwing a code ?? Also one other question My tuck just started to get a lot of steering wheel shake or vibrations from like 25-55 or so when i am at highway speeds there is nothing but at lower speeds the steering wheel shakes alot and I will get an occasional pull from the truck. The only thing I can think of that did this is I bumped the curb while parking while the wheels were fully cranked and literally just a light nudge not that hard. Do you guys think that this is an allignment problem or what. Thanks so much for the help

Your gas cap could have a bad seal in it, these fuel systems are vacuum sensitive. As far as your vibration, wheel balance and an alignment might help, but your description leads me to believe there is a problem with your front diff or wheel bearings. :chevy:

Edited by Fireman31 (see edit history)