Replaced Front Carrier Assembly (axle)

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WOW... you don't mess around Steve, seems like just the other day you were here!

I've been busy with the property... we're 6" to 12" deep in water across the ENTIRE property! and we aren't even in a flood zone WTF!!! luckily the house is about 2ft+ above the ground so plenty high, but some of the cars are gettin mighty close for comfort :(

~Brian

When you say the front carrier, do you mean like the front differential? I'm a little confused on what you replaced. I think my front dif is going out, I have 56k miles on it and I think it just went out of warranty on me.

Yes, the carrier assmbly is inside the differential housing, some call it the front diff, but is in fact one and the same :)

I have a feeling he replaced the gears, seals and bearings inside the front diff. The last time i had mine gone through the GM tech did just that, and replaced the housing, cause my truck was eating through front carrier assemblies. its eaten up at least 4 since i've had the truck.

Edited by montanass (see edit history)

Yes, the carrier assmbly is inside the differential housing, some call it the front diff, but is in fact one and the same :)

I have a feeling he replaced the gears, seals and bearings inside the front diff. The last time i had mine gone through the GM tech did just that, and replaced the housing, cause my truck was eating through front carrier assemblies. its eaten up at least 4 since i've had the truck.

He actually replaced the whole thing. Bought a used one from someone, and just did the entire unit.

What are some of the symptoms of the front diff going? I have a weird drive line noise coming from my truck, it happens right in between acceleration and deacceleration at about 60-80 mph. I checked U-joints and the trans was just replaced. everything else is stock underneath with 132 000 km on the Odo.

454Matt

What are some of the symptoms of the front diff going? I have a weird drive line noise coming from my truck, it happens right in between acceleration and deacceleration at about 60-80 mph. I checked U-joints and the trans was just replaced. everything else is stock underneath with 132 000 km on the Odo.

454Matt

I've got the same issue and will be checking for sure when I take my transmission out this weekend. You can check yours by removing the front drive shaft and measuring the rotation of the "slop" by rotating the pinion back and forth. It should be pretty tight. It should not have any side to side movement or tilt upwards or downwards at all, if it does the pinion bushing/bearing is shot.

Steve, any idea how many degrees of pinion rotation is acceptable for proper lash adjustment?

Yeah, mines kinda hard to explain. When i'm holding my speed steady at about 60 mph i can hear a whirring noise coming from under the truck, but i can't tell where. I am pretty sure its not the Transmission since it was completely rebuilt a 1000 miles ago, so that leaves the transfer case or the front diff. i checked all the U-joints and they were fine. It does have a pretty good leak and about 70 000 miles on it, so its probably due for a rebuild, just have to come up with another wad of dough. I think i'm going to atempt the rebuild myself. :uhoh:

What are some of the symptoms of the front diff going? I have a weird drive line noise coming from my truck, it happens right in between acceleration and deacceleration at about 60-80 mph. .

454Matt

Same here, just had to drop mine by the dealer. Tech said front diff. I've had the truck 2 weeks! It is in on warranty right now. I hope to have it back in time for the Dallas G2G, but if not, I'll be there in my dad's truck. If I can get it back by friday morning, I'll be able to do my exhaust before the trip. We'll see. But I'll definitely be in Dallas.