Installing A 4:10 Axle

1 Fast SS

There are many things that I want to do to my truck, but one the thing that's been on my mind lately is installing a 4:10 axle. The dealer can do it for about $600. I have the 06' SSS and it has great lowend TQ, but I want to get off the line faster. The thing I would like to know from you guys, are there pro's and con's to installing this? Or maybe a different set-up, like a Eaton posi or something like that. I don't know that much about gearing, so I would need some schooling from you guys of what would be the best set up. I plan on putting a cam and Procharger later, and maybe some heads.

First off, let me say that I'm NOT a daily driver, so the extra gas mileage doesn't bother me. What I'm concerned about, is losing any type of topend at the track or on the street. I know that I would have to re-tune for this after the dealer reflashes the PCM, but would there be any other down falls to this install?

Thanks

Terry

Terry going to a 4.10 will definitely get you off the line better, but it will hurt your top end towards the end of the strip..........I personallly plan on staying with a 3.73. I would definitely consider a different locker though, we all know how wonderful the current G80 can be. :chevy:

Terry going to a 4.10 will definitely get you off the line better, but it will hurt your top end towards the end of the strip..........I personallly plan on staying with a 3.73. I would definitely consider a different locker though, we all know how wonderful the current G80 can be. :chevy:

:thumbs:

definately ditch the stock G80. i went with a detroit locker and its pretty noisy turning on the street but there is zero slippage for sure. combined with the 4.56 gears its somewhat undriveable on street tires but i like the powerband it puts me in combined with my torque converter. and like you i dont drive mine daily so gas mileage isnt a big concern maybe look into a truetrac unit for the rear as well. and ta performance makes a nice 14 bolt differential cover to go with it terry for about 200 bucks. i think all told im into mine for right around a grand installed.

and dan is right about getting off the line but i would question the top end theory. i trap a lot higher rpms in 3rd gear than a similar truck with 3.73s which helps your top end mph.

and dan is right about getting off the line but i would question the top end theory. i trap a lot higher rpms in 3rd gear than a similar truck with 3.73s which helps your top end mph.

We're gonna find out how mine does with the 3.73s when I get to the track soon, my trans parts should be here by the end of the week. :chevy:

If it gets me off the line quicker, and it hurts my topend, will that still even everything out over all? Or should I just stick with the cam install first?

Terry

Terry I would do the cam first, you will get more bang for your buck, you can always change gears later. :chevy:

Then, the cam it is!! Then comes the Procharger D1. If that doesn't make me happy with some added HP & TQ, then I'll change the gears.

Terry

SOunds good. I got 4.10's installed a few months ago on my 5.3 and i noticed a nice gain over my 3.73's. So much that i can break my 33" tires on dry pavement. I can give you a number for Adams Driveline out in henderson. they did my Motive 4.10s and cleaned out my G80 for 250 installed which is a smokin deal. Also, pm me with your number again i lost it lol.