317 Versus 243's

After 2 years of just driving I'm ready to up the go a wee bit, been looking at cams and though the GT2-3 sounds good for stock heads I was wondering if the MTI Stealth II and some ported 243's might be worth the extra greenbacks. While I'd love some TEA 245cc LS2 type heads I just don't want to spend $2500 on heads, nor do I want to lose low end. I think the ported LS6's and a 220-224 cam should do the trick, but need some input. Please don't reply "blower" I know it would get me a boost(get it) but I want more sleeper than in your face, daily driver so keep that in mind. I plan on headers if I go head swap. Am I looking in the right direction or is there something I have overlooked? Here is what I had in mind; stock LQ9 lower end, MTI Stealth II cam, WCCH(most likely) or other ported LS6 "243" heads 64 or 69cc chamber, headers, stock intake, maybe marine injectors if needed, tune. I'd like to run the stock torque convertor or TBTC later on.

I have the Ported 243's on my truck as well as the z06 cam, I like them, can build great power with them, and there GM product :thumbs: . (note: the 243's have a .6mm longer valve stem, so Base circle and push rod length will be important.)

I think as far as Performance, street/strip racing. the converter is probably going to be best bang for the buck! should definately get that.(IMO)

A Good Book, For building these engines up, specially utilizing GM parts:

How to Build High-Performance

Chevy LS1/LS6 V-8s

By, Will Handzel

Pretty quick Read, Easy to Follow and Understand. Lot's of DYNO test in the book for "Proven Power"

~Danny

You'd notice a gain power just from the compression alone. The head flow difference without porting might be null and void, but if you port them you will be gaining flow and compression. If you get that done at a low enough cost it'll be worth it.

You'd notice a gain power just from the compression alone. The head flow difference without porting might be null and void, but if you port them you will be gaining flow and compression. If you get that done at a low enough cost it'll be worth it.

I was wanting to bump the compression up a tad hence the small chamber 243's, I'm not set on those heads just a resonably priced decent flowing head. My choice of those were based on the roughly 10.5-11 to 1 ratio and the fact that the ported 243's would flow a little better than the stock 317's. Is there a better choice for less than say 2k?

Is there a better choice for less than say 2k?

Yes. Dart heads are $1,500-1,600 and are badd a$$. I dont know why many dont consider them an option since they flow as much as AFR or TEA.

This would be a great package deal for you on ebay...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DART-LS1-CY...ksid=p1638.m118

Edited by Black2003SS (see edit history)

I agree on the Dart heads, for less than 2k you can get Dart 225's and you will certainly notice a gain from those. They flow pretty well and will increase your compression a bit. Thinking of stuff like this, it was very common a few years back for the earlier LS1's to put 5.3L heads on for the compression gain. They were porting them and changing the intake valves to fix that issue, but they were doing it mainly for the compression gain.