MOTORTREND Feb 2003

SS4EVER

Hey guys, I have a Harley with all the options including power sun roof. Here are my times, stock In the summer in Phoenix I ran a 14.4. I now have 2500 miles on her and have added $600 in mods(Diablo chip, 6lb. lower pully, cold air kit with K&N). In the cooler air we now have and the above mods with 95 octane gas I ran a best of 13.3. My total cost in the truck including mods is $33,300. My next mod will be a new exhaust system with long tube headers. I am told this will give me great gains. Buy the way, the chip alone was good for .5 second improvment.

damn....I guess me and Ratfink werent too far off eh?? hahaha!!

I know of silverado's running mid-high 14's with computer work.....nothing else!!

What a kick in the nutz for Chevy. The HD with the lightning pully will run high 13's.

Man...I sure hope the General wakes up and steps up to the plate. What a joke and the laughing stock the SS *super slow* has turned out to be.

Cant wait till one pulls up to me thinking he is the "almighty" SS and thinking he can stomp some old square body chevy. :):nono:

A friend of mine with a 02 5.3 ran a 14.9 with only a flowmaster cat back.

I was impressed. :D

RF

What a kick in the nutz for Chevy. The HD with the lightning pully will run high 13's.

Man...I sure hope the General wakes up and steps up to the plate. What a joke and the laughing stock the SS *super slow* has turned out to be.

LOHRTBT---I believe you are telling like it is, and I hate to say that for Chevy SS---but the General is gasping air :puke: big time compared to the L's. What a SHAME---Maybe the 04 reg cab will be our salvation? :cheers:

I am one of the biggest Chevy fans I race one myself

but if you are looking for performance from Chevy right now you are looking in the wrong place. They even killed the Camaro :nonod: That was Chevy's low buck answer to the Mustang. I too hope they change the direction they are going. :shakehead:

Hey guys, I have a Harley with all the options including power sun roof. Here are my times, stock In the summer in Phoenix I ran a 14.4. I now have 2500 miles on her and have added $600 in mods(Diablo chip, 6lb. lower pully, cold air kit with K&N). In the cooler air we now have and the above mods with 95 octane gas I ran a best of 13.3. My total cost in the truck including mods is $33,300. My next mod will be a new exhaust system with long tube headers. I am told this will give me great gains. Buy the way, the chip alone was good for .5 second improvment.

Holy Cripes!!! Damn man Nice times!! :)

I am really starting to like those HD's more and MOre after news like that!! :)

Just a kinda funny point of reference. My '94 Lightning ran 7 seconds 0-60 and the 1/4 mile in 15.4 when it had 1200 miles on it. This was at Firebird Raceway in Arizona (which everyone knows sucks). At the time, it had a K&N filter.

Why do I mention this?? Maybe it is just me, but GM's brand new performance flagship truck basically runs no better than my 1994 Lightning. BTW, I paid $21K for it. (ps, it would smoke the SS in handling also........ the best handling truck I have ever driven........ including my '01 Lightning. Damn I miss that truck).

Just my opinion.

Why do I mention this?? Maybe it is just me, but GM's brand new performance flagship truck basically runs no better than my 1994 Lightning. BTW, I paid $21K for it.  (ps, it would smoke the SS in handling also........ the best handling truck I have ever driven........ including my '01 Lightning. Damn I miss that truck).

Just my opinion.

Funny how things go astray on here (and message boards everywhere). Did GM miss an GOLDEN opportunity to come out with a higher HP/TQ SS the first go around? YES!!! Did they do it totally right? NO! However, it will be a "good" all around truck...very comparable to the Harley Edition Ford (If not better)...which is EXACTLY what GM was shooting for with this truck, like it or not.

However, to say ANY vehicle would "smoke the SS in handling" at this point is ridiculous. That we will have to see. At this point, NOBODY here has driven one, so an opinion on it's handling characteristics would be futile (about the handling). :nono:

This truck is the PERFECT platform for ME. The only thing wrong with it is the price. It should have an MSRP of 37-38,000. That would be acceptable and in line with what it offers. Do I wish it aws higher in HP/TQ, Hell yes, but it wont, so there is no point bitching about it. :cool: Mark my words on this next paragraph.....

The first wave of SS will sell like hotcakes, for about 4 months. Most of those will be compriseed of orders already sold. Then there will be a few more that sell within a week or 2 once they arrive at the dealerships. However, after about 6 months, sells will DIE. They will become JUST LIKE THE C3's that could not be given away at $38,500. So, dealers started GIVING 7-10,000 discounts to get them off their lot. Dealers still had C3's on their lot a YEAR after getting them in, now that should have told GM something. Know why it didnt??? Becasue once the delaers pay for it, GM doesnt give a crap anymore...it isnt their problem anymore. Add to this, there were a LOT fewer C3's made than there will be SS's. So, if one can wait for a few months, they will most likely be able to get their hands on an Ext Cab SS for around 33,000. FACT! :thumbs:

Just a kinda funny point of reference. My '94 Lightning ran 7 seconds 0-60 and the 1/4 mile in 15.4 when it had 1200 miles on it. This was at Firebird Raceway in Arizona (which everyone knows sucks). At the time, it had a K&N filter.

Why do I mention this?? Maybe it is just me, but GM's brand new performance flagship truck basically runs no better than my 1994 Lightning. BTW, I paid $21K for it. (ps, it would smoke the SS in handling also........ the best handling truck I have ever driven........ including my '01 Lightning. Damn I miss that truck).

Just my opinion.

Yup, this is a drift off topic. And while your old Lightning may have been faster than the SS in the quarter, you cant say that it would out-handle the SS. Have you driven one? Neither have I, so that mens neither one of us can answer that question.

Just to bring this discussion back on track...

I just got my own copy of Feb Motor Trend

Silverado SS

What's hot - Stealthy presence, tenacious AWD, great exhaust note

What's not - On-road-only suspension, pricey for a street cruiser, not as potent as SVT Lightning

F-150 Harley

What's Hot - Catapult-like thrust, bold graphics, Lincoln grade appointments.

What's Not - Over-done badging, Only seats four, two-tone paint not everyone's cup of tea

Max        Max        0-60                    60-0                     45-60        1/4 Mile            600ft                 Cap        Tow       empty/loaded    empty/loaded    empty/loaded                            SlalomSS          1490      7500        6.96/9.10            121/132              2.76/3.59      [email protected]     61.6HD          1375      4500        6.49/7.56            131/140              2.37/2.99      [email protected]     58.2

It sure is difficult to make tables in this discussion board software. Didn't anyone ever think of using 'tabs' at Invision? :fume:

You can find many posts on other sites that state the Harley f-150 runs bone stock mid 14s consistently so I'm not sure why someone said high 14s to low 15s.

the HD f150 has the EXACT same drivetrain as the Lightning. The only difference is the pulley size on the lightning and a detuned computer as well as a longer two-piece driveshaft. same engine, tranny, blower, etc.

there are HDs on other sites that are running 12s for less than $3000 in mods. I think this truck is impressive.

Archived