Wow $1530.00 For Front Diff Repair

well after going back and forth with chevy the past couple of days they said they would cover half the cost of the repair because of the low miles. Well I still have to pay 1530 dollars. 34k on this truck and It has a huge repair needed. I will never never buy from chevy or again. Most likely as soon as this is repaired ill most likely sell it cuz there is no way im getting stuck with another high repair bill.

sorry to rant but im so bummed right now

DON'T DO IT. :nono: You can get a used one from LKQ for $1100; they also offer a rebuilt w/ warranty for $1300. I also found a couple very low mileage pullouts in a wrecking yard up north, they wanted $600 + $150 shipping for them... You want the '04+ front carriers, they are improved over the '03s. When I go home tonight I will check my notes and see if I still have contact info for those $600 pullouts... Replacing them is not hard, all you need are metric wrenches/sockets, jack, jackstands, and an evening...

Mr. P.

Edited by Mr. P. (see edit history)

DON'T DO IT. :nono: You can get a used one from LKQ for $1100; they also offer a rebuilt w/ warranty for $1300. I also found a couple very low mileage pullouts in a wrecking yard up north, they wanted $600 + $150 shipping for them... You want the '04+ front carriers, they are improved over the '03s. When I go home tonight I will check my notes and see if I still have contact info for those $600 pullouts... Replacing them is not hard, all you need are metric wrenches/sockets, jack, jackstands, and an evening...

Mr. P.

sweet! Thank you so much.

Hey Mr. P i'm interested as well as mine is getting worse everyday. I was thinking about dropping it, splitting it and reaplacing all the parts myself, but if i could find an improved design to drop in that would most likely be cheaper and easier....

454Matt

Mr. P.

Mr. P.

Here's a link on rear differential replacement. How much of this article can be applied to the front differential?

Regards,

Dan :cheers:

Mr. P.

Here's a link on rear differential replacement. How much of this article can be applied to the front differential?

Regards,

Dan :cheers:

Quite a bit different. It doesn't have a cover like the rear. The case splits apart.

Stoney, don't make a rash decision. I know your frustrated, but all other car manufacturers aren't any different. Trust me. Besides, GM has discontinued the entire unit, and even then the last price was $848.64 list. Sounds like he's trying to pull something if he's saying half is $1500.00.

Edited by CoolBlueSS (see edit history)

Quite a bit different. It doesn't have a cover like the rear. The case splits apart.

Stoney, don't make a rash decision. I know your frustrated, but all other car manufacturers aren't any different. Trust me. Besides, GM has discontinued the entire unit, and even then the last price was $848.64 list. Sounds like he's trying to pull something if he's saying half is $1500.00.

:withstupid: Sounds like a total rip off IMO. Most have had these repaired for less than $1,500. Mine started making noise around 50K miles and I've got a little over 71K now and I haven't had it serviced or anything. I do plan to change out the fluid when the weather warms up.

he said they would be rebuilding it if thqat matters at all. I got a friend that works at chevy down south and he is going to ask his service writer if that sounds right or not.
That still sounds high. Especially at warranty rate. I know it's more expensive that way, but 3K seems outreageous.

Hey Mr. P i'm interested as well as mine is getting worse everyday. I was thinking about dropping it, splitting it and reaplacing all the parts myself, but if i could find an improved design to drop in that would most likely be cheaper and easier....

454Matt

According to Pimp SS - he was told by his local powertrain tech that the '03 AWD front axles have a high failure rate, and that GM made a design improvement in the '04 axles and that dealer warranty issues from that point forward pretty much dried-up, so the '04+ front axles are more reliable :dunno: Word is that GM continued to stock the improved '04 axles for warranty replacement in customer '03 trucks, but when 2007 came all '03 trucks went out of warranty and GM discontinued the front axle. So at this point if you have an '03 truck with a bad front axle you must either locate a low-mileage used '04+ axle (and fast!) or find a very reputable 4x4 axle service tech and get yours bulletproofed.

Mr. P.

According to Pimp SS - he was told by his local powertrain tech that the '03 AWD front axles have a high failure rate, and that GM made a design improvement in the '04 axles and that dealer warranty issues from that point forward pretty much dried-up, so the '04+ front axles are more reliable :dunno: Word is that GM continued to stock the improved '04 axles for warranty replacement in customer '03 trucks, but when 2007 came all '03 trucks went out of warranty and GM discontinued the front axle. So at this point if you have an '03 truck with a bad front axle you must either locate a low-mileage used '04+ axle (and fast!) or find a very reputable 4x4 axle service tech and get yours bulletproofed.

Mr. P.

Thanx Mr. P.

I'm gonna start calling the wrecking yards around me to try and locate one of these updated Diff's as mine is getting pretty bad. So i'm looking for one out of an 04 -07 Chevrolet/GMC right? Can it be either 1500 or 2500 and does it have to be from an AWD vehicle or would a 4X4 work as well? I'm guessing not, because i believe ours is an 8.25" F4WD diff as opposed to a 8.25/9.25 S4WD? So that would mean that the replacement diff would have to come from a SS or C3 ........right?

454Matt

he said they would be rebuilding it if thqat matters at all. I got a friend that works at chevy down south and he is going to ask his service writer if that sounds right or not.

No that actually is cheaper because all they are replacing is bearings, races, and possibly the gear set. No offense to you , but your getting F**KED on that deal. Listen to steve he and I spent some time finding good pull out units because his was getting real bad.