Dirtbike Riders

silverss05

get use to when the powerband will kick in. Take it slow so you can learn the sound of your RPM's and where the power is made. Other than that, get the proper gear and hold that b!tch wide open when ready. 125's are fun bikes cause you can really throw them around. My 250 and 300 are a little less easy on me. Kinda miss my old 125 cause of the lightness and being able to put the bike where I want it when I want it.

I have been racing since i was 10 years old. Been to Ponca city nationals a few times. I could ramble on for a long time about tips and techniques. But for not the biggest thing to work on is keeping your elbows up. Pretend you are holding a door nob when you grip the handle bars that way it forces you to keep your elbows up. Stand up as much as you can, you can control the bike much better that way. When you are sitting down grip the bike with your legs as much as you can, this will help reduce arm pump. Another big thing is to stay forward on the bike, the thing to think about is you ride the bike don't let the bike ride you. Get comfortable on the bike before trying anything crazy and make sure you have all the proper equipment don't go riding without gear. Don't be that guy. Are you looking to ride trails or more track stuff? When you get good enough on that 125 two stroke go get your self a 250f four stroke (go Yamaha best bike out there by far) and you will be in heaven. I also work on bikes so if you have any questions feel free to ask. Also check out this web site for any how to questions, has a great tip section from the pros. http://www.transworldmotocross.com/mx/ Enjoy man. Another good way to get good if you are into the tracks is just to go there and watch the other guys and ask the pros for advice they will usually be willing to help you out. Let me know if you have anymore questions.

I just got a YZ125 and was wondering if any of the riders here got any advice on what to do and what not to do. I've already learned to stay forward on the tank. Any help would be great. Thanks.

Jason

Dude, I've got the same bike. I bought mine brand new in the fall of 05 and had to wait till summer (06) to ride it. I unfortunately only got to take it out a few times due to no time and the fact that I have to drive an hour and a half to a place to ride the thing and filling up the SS was killing me. Now that I have more time, I'll be taking it out this summer and I cant wait, It's a blast to ride!

I also find it to be the perfect size for me, I'm only 5'7 and skinny, the dealer refused to sell me a 250 till after I was well experienced with the 125 first. The site that I always would visit was thumpertalk.com, there is TONS of info and people post places to ride. I just tried the site and it's down right now : ( Hope thats just temporarily.

I have been racing since i was 10 years old. Been to Ponca city nationals a few times. I could ramble on for a long time about tips and techniques. But for not the biggest thing to work on is keeping your elbows up. Pretend you are holding a door nob when you grip the handle bars that way it forces you to keep your elbows up. Stand up as much as you can, you can control the bike much better that way. When you are sitting down grip the bike with your legs as much as you can, this will help reduce arm pump. Another big thing is to stay forward on the bike...

^^this is great advice. ONe thing i might add is to dig your heels in, pinch the bike wit your heels and lower legs, it will help keep you from going ass over tea-kettle, when standing. (should be almost all the time.) Oh yeah, dont show off in front of your buddies, its almost a sure thing you will crash... lol

man ive been riding since i was 6 years old....started on a good ole pw50 but anyway all i can say is balls to the wall man!!! the best riders are fearless!!! just dont go to crazy if you work all the time cause you will be suprised at whats on the other side of that table top sometimes, but if you have a job you can do in a cast...raise hell!!!

Dude, I've got the same bike. I bought mine brand new in the fall of 05 and had to wait till summer (06) to ride it. I unfortunately only got to take it out a few times due to no time and the fact that I have to drive an hour and a half to a place to ride the thing and filling up the SS was killing me. Now that I have more time, I'll be taking it out this summer and I cant wait, It's a blast to ride!

I also find it to be the perfect size for me, I'm only 5'7 and skinny, the dealer refused to sell me a 250 till after I was well experienced with the 125 first. The site that I always would visit was thumpertalk.com, there is TONS of info and people post places to ride. I just tried the site and it's down right now : ( Hope thats just temporarily.

Ya I got my bike back in 06 I think it was and its been just sitting cause i haven't had time to ride. I also have to drive a bit to go ride.

I'm not very big myself. I'm 5'9" so the dealer i was at also refused me a 250. The 125 scares the shit out of me sometime if i rev it a little too much without being ready. Just got to get use to it.

Also to the guys that keep stressing the right gear. Don't worry that was the second "things" that i bought before even thinking of riding the bike.

All great info thanks guys.

^^this is great advice. ONe thing i might add is to dig your heels in, pinch the bike wit your heels and lower legs, it will help keep you from going ass over tea-kettle, when standing. (should be almost all the time.) Oh yeah, dont show off in front of your buddies, its almost a sure thing you will crash... lol

dude it's not your lower legs, it's ur knees, grip with your knees, around your heels you got swingarm.. thats a moving part.. not good, there is more stregth/ leverage there plus you should be on your toes on the pegs anyway. figure out what the attack position is almost every mx teacher uses that expression cant really describe you gotta see it. dont be scared of wrecking either, it just happens, and the biggest one is always ahead of you.. look ahead no matter what, stuff likes to reach up and bite you if you dont pay attention.

my tip, invest in a good helmet, with those you get what you pay for... folding levers are good investments my asv's have outlasted 2 dirt bikes(about to be 3)... and the best piece of advice anyone can give you is dress for the crash not the ride dont matter if it's 106 degrees outside, you better be wearing a helmet and all your gear.

PS: dont miss your starting gate cuz u were staring at a red bull girl... that happened to me at cooperland last year during vet nationals

I've got an HJC helmet, goggles, pants, jersey, gloves, chest protector, kidney belt, knee/shin guards, elbow pads, and boots. Safety first. Your right about the crashing happens too. I use to ride bmx so i know what that's about. This will just be a little faster haha.

ya 250s will kick your ass unless you havent started out with something that has some power. i went from an xr 100 to a yz250f and its a world of a difference. will be selling my 03 yz250f soon if any of u guys are interested or know of anyone. just need to get one more trip in then its for sale!!