Big Trouble

usmcchevyss

:confused:

well here is one that i have not seen before. I am going to make a long story very short for the people with ADD. I have a cat back, cold air intake, a zippy shift kit, and a pcm upgrade. NOthing major done at all. I treat the truck very good. today some how the anti freeze and tranny fluid mixed together....it looks like it all happened in the radiator. Has anyone had this happen to them on their SSS? I am going to get it towed up there on wednesday. I hope they rebuild the trans and give me a new radiator and fluid my whole motor. It made this nice milkly pink fluid it looks like a strawberry milk shake.

Thanks to all who read this and listened to me complain. Thank you

Bryan

05sss

78 malibu

you sure its tranny fluid? It almost sounds like a gasket went inside the motor and the coolant is leaking into the oil of the motor. I had this happen on my monte carlo I had. I would check your oil cap on your motor and see if it has a milky fluid on it. If it does that would be my guess. I dont have any idea how it would mix with tranny fluid though thats just messed up. Hope you figure it out

Where are you seeing this fluid mix in the coolant overflow or on the trans dipstick? I dont really see how its possible for them to mix since the trans has a seperate cooler. The engine oil has a few places to mix, the radiator since the oil cooler goes through there, or a blown head gasket. :chevy:

Yeah it's happened a couple times, it's not a common occurance but the in-radiator cooling coil for the ATF has been known to fail and cross-contaminate fluids. Engine is almost certainly fine, the transmission is almost certainly screwed, once you've had water in the ATF the tranny requires total rebuild, converter must be thoroughly flushed or replaced, radiator replaced, ATF lines & external cooler blown clear with compressed air, and engine coolant flushed/refilled.

Mr. P.

thanks guys that is what I figured with the trans, that it was toasted. I just dropped it off at the dealer and I have to wait and see what they say. I did see the fluids mixed in the overflow tank as well when I pulled the tranny dipstick. THe engine oil was fine, still clean I might add...

I hope they give me a new trans, it sucks because I installed one of zippys shift kits in it, guess I will have to do it again.

For any of you who have had trannys done by the dealer are they willing to put something else in besides their own trans? Meaning if I get one built myself would they put it in? Or am I better off just having them put their GM trans in and I do my shift kit again and call it a day?

Bryan

Yeah it's happened a couple times, it's not a common occurance but the in-radiator cooling coil for the ATF has been known to fail and cross-contaminate fluids. Engine is almost certainly fine, the transmission is almost certainly screwed, once you've had water in the ATF the tranny requires total rebuild, converter must be thoroughly flushed or replaced, radiator replaced, ATF lines & external cooler blown clear with compressed air, and engine coolant flushed/refilled.

Mr. P.

This happened to my old (now brothers) 2000 silverado. fortunatly no coolent got into the trans. Justs trans fluid in the radiator.

well I got the SSS back on Thursday after the dealer having the truck for just over a week. I guess I took the dealer for granted...I felt the tranny shift kit was gone (kind of figured that was going to happen) i drove home it was about a 20 min ride and I knew something was not right. Got home and opened the hood and sure enough the antifreeze was the same color (pink milky fluid) it was when I brought it in. The tranny fluid was fine, but I guess they did not flush the motor out. The engine compartment was also covered in oil from them working on it, they did not clean their hand prints or work area up at all. SO I took the SSS right back to the dealer and demanded they flush the whole motor, change all the hoses and clean the engine bay before I get it back. It is now going on Tuesday and I have not heard a word from them.

I have to say I am very disappointed with their service and they are going to hear about it. Also I am very upset they the SSS has been tainted like this, I don't think it is going to be the same again. I am considering trading it in so down the road I don't have large problems with it. My wife does not want me to trade it in. I have some think to do. Thanks to all that read this and listened to me vent.

Bryan

05 SSS

78 malibu