Should I Buy It?

snowmunky

Found a truck that I'm seriously considering buying...

2003 Arrival Blue Silverado SS...

-90,8xx miles

-100% bone stock except for an ARE hard tonneau cover, Line-X spray-on bedliner, and a bug deflector on the front of the hood (painted the same color as the truck).

-Has the 6-disc in-dash cd changer, Bose stereo system, tinted glass on rear and side windows, digital climate control, heated leather, etc, etc...

Talked the dealer down to $14,500!

Now, here's the downside...

It has a small scuff along the passenger side (along the bottom fiber-glass body mouldings)... but looks like most of it could be buffed out. No other dents/dings/scratches, just that one scuff along the passenger side (and also on the passenger corner of the front bumper).... although the scuff is hardly noticeable. In any event, my brother is a manager at a body shop... so I could get it repainted if necessary for cheap. No major body damage from what I can tell, all body panels line up just fine. Clean carfax, clean title... yada yada.

Also, it's missing the stock foglights.... these trucks DID come with stock fog lights in the lower fascia, correct? It has the fog light button on the dash next to the headight switch... but no foglights? Was afraid that may be from a more serious accident where the entire front clip was replaced...

Anyways, does it sound worth it or no? Any issue with high mileage on these drivetrains?

Edited by Evan B. (see edit history)

sounds like a good deal, but NO our trucks did not come with foglights stock. If its got a foglight switch, sounds like someone might have done them aftermarket, or installed the gm fogs. Dont know why they took them out though. Where is the switch exactly?? And I assume you have driven it already?

dont sound to bad. any growling in the front diff?

Sold my '03 with high miles cuz i was afraid of mechanical issues without remaining warranty. Couldn't stay away so i bought the exact same black in an '04 with a lot lower miles and a warranty. That's just me. I like to have a little peace of mind. In the end, if everything checks out on the truck and it's all legit, you'll probably be hard pressed to find anyone on this site to say NO...Don't Do IT! On the other hand, if you decide to take the plunge, just make sure you have a little coin socked away in case something major happens after it hits your driveway. You'll enjoy the truck a lot more if you're not worrying all of the time about how you'll pay for repairs or what you'll do with a truck that isn't running. Hope it works out for ya.

hey evan, if it's a push button switch with a pic of alight and little lines pointing down, I think that's your cargo light switch. Sounds like a good deal, I just picked mine up today, and absolutly love it!! Mine came with the roll-lock soft cover, it's pretty sweet. I thought I wanted a hard lid, but it's too hard to haul shit with a hard lid.imo. Good luck with your purchase, sounds like a good deal!!

Maybe it's a clone check the vin because these trucks don't have fog lights.

:withstupid: SS Silverado's did not come with fog lights, check the VIN and make sure the truck is legit. Also look on the big sticker inside the glovebox door, and the truck should be equipped with the RPO code B4U (SS package).

If the truck is a real SS, then that's a great price, in fact the lowest I've seen or heard of yet. I would budget a couple grand aside for inspection of front axle, transmission, and front-end work (ball joints & tie rod ends??) but other than that I would consider it because the price is right.

Mr. P.

hey evan, if it's a push button switch with a pic of alight and little lines pointing down, I think that's your cargo light switch. Sounds like a good deal, I just picked mine up today, and absolutly love it!! Mine came with the roll-lock soft cover, it's pretty sweet. I thought I wanted a hard lid, but it's too hard to haul shit with a hard lid.imo. Good luck with your purchase, sounds like a good deal!!

lol, call me stupid, i'm not a truck guy, but that's exactly what it is... i'm retarded... that thought never even crossed my mind. that is exactly the button i'm talking about. Ok, so that answer's my question about the foglights... there aren't ANY! lmao

VIN # checks out, it's definitely a REAL SS.

It has the N as the eighth digit in the VIN, indicating a real SS, correct? As only the SS's had the N as the eighth digit indicating the 6.0L LQ9 motor, right?

Here's the VIN: 2GCEK19N331355094

and i drove the truck, specifically listening for front-end growl, slipping tranny, driveshaft "clunking" (i've been reading the boards for about 3-4 weeks now).... truck drove absolutely flawless and had absolutely no odd noises while driving or idling... even made sure to accelerate in and out of turns to listen for "clunking" or drivetrain growl (trust me, i was under the hood inspecting everything... i'm a car guy... currently drive a modified '98 Grand Prix GTP... it's seen a best of [email protected] in the quarter)

Also, not too worried about mechanical failures (I mean i am, to a certain extent... but I'm simply buying this as a second "recreational" vehicle.... I still have my '98 GTP)

I think I may pull the trigger on this one....

...'98 Grand Prix GTP... it's seen a best of [email protected] in the quarter

:thumbs: VERY cool :thumbs:

...I think I may pull the trigger on this one....

Yeah I would agree - truck sounds legit, on the face of it sounds like a good deal. Let us know what happens!

Mr. P. :)

• 11 years later...

Hey man, I know this is a long time from when the post was made (a VERY long time), but I just came across a blue 2003 SS for sale and wanted to know if it was a legit SS and not a clone. So, I plugged the VIN into Google and it is the exact VIN number that you listed above. Crazy! What are the odds? Just thought I'd reach out and say something to you about it, I am going to buy the truck tonight. Has much higher mils now, but seems to be in great shape. It's cammed now, obviosly AWD w/ 4.10 gears, full dual Flowmaster exhaust on it now, too! How'd the truck treat you when you had it?