Confused By My Truck - Quick Dumb Suspension Q

Midnight Marauder

Im hoping you guys can help me out. I have an 05 ECSB and although not a VHO appears to have much of the same options with the exception of the 6.0 mill. Tbars up front (Z60 suspension package), 3.73's / G80, Heavy duty trans cooler, GM 20's.....

Im trying to figure out new shocks for this rig and I am not certain if these would be the same as for a VHO or Sierra 1500 or what the hell I should be buying. I dont know if you guys roll the same shocks as the 2 wheel drive SS's due to the z60 suspension / tbars. Truck has 2 inch gforce shackles out back to level and the tbars are dropped about an inch and a half so figure stock length shocks will work.

Can anyone can help me out with a biltein shock purchase or edelbrock shocks? Or perhaps give a quick look at your stock shocks and tell me what the OE PN is so I can confirm against mine? (summit and eshocks, etc cannot answer my Q for certain and are telling me they THINK I need the shocks for an HD series truck) Confusion due to not being a VHO or 4 wheel drive and having the z60 and a 5.3

Thanks for any help :cheers:

Edited by Midnight Marauder (see edit history)

Don't they differ a little bit? Aren't 2wds lower then 4wds?

well they're both running torsion bar front ends and the z60 suspension package....i believe the 06 intimidators might be an inch lower but an awd ss lowered the same as a 2wd ss has always looked lower to me.

well they're both running torsion bar front ends and the z60 suspension package....i believe the 06 intimidators might be an inch lower but an awd ss lowered the same as a 2wd ss has always looked lower to me.

Side by side my truck looks to sit a bit higher than the SS's do, whether 2wd or 4wd. Sat higher out back until I leveled it out but who knows, different shackles stock? Could of been the SS's I have seen were already dropped but i've never had the chance to crawl under one and check it out.

I think I am going to have to resort to grabbing the SSS shocks and then once they arrive comparing in length and such to my stockers. Figure they have to be valved the same given that Z60 is Z60 no matter what truck its on and they're the same frame. I havent paid much attention to the ground effects or rockers on the SS trucks or if they're any different, maybe thats the reason the SS trucks appear to sit lower than mine.

New to the truck world, been wrapped up in cars all my life and never ran leafs or tbars....simple shock purchase is making me really appreciate good ol coils all around. :D

OK, figured this out - B2E option on my truck instead of BV4 (VHO) both have the z60 suspension - identical but for the engine and trans combo. I was unaware of this RPO or what this truck was but should be able to order the exact same shocks from bilstein for the SSS trucks. should apply to both b2e and b4v rigs due to same weight, chassis and springs, etc

Guess per my searches here this is the model that everyone originally referred to as a "spring special" in all the original VHO "texas truck" threads in 04

Identical to the VHO except it got the standard 1500 engine / trans

So that would mean ur truck is an solid Indigo Blue exterior paint color, a 4X2 chassis and an ext'd cab SWB, ur truck would have the same VHO 20" wheels, the same suspension and shocks as a VHO, but only the 5.3L engine. I suppose they could have had a small # of carry-over 2004 Spring Specials into 2005....?

Is ur truck this color? Indigo Blue was discontinued in late 2003, and ONLY came back on the trucks in the 2004 Spring Special editions.

So that would mean ur truck is an solid Indigo Blue exterior paint color, a 4X2 chassis and an ext'd cab SWB, ur truck would have the same VHO 20" wheels, the same suspension and shocks as a VHO, but only the 5.3L engine. I suppose they could have had a small # of carry-over 2004 Spring Specials into 2005....?

Is ur truck this color? Indigo Blue was discontinued in late 2003, and ONLY came back on the trucks in the 2004 Spring Special editions.

Its an 05, built in canada, build date is 02/22/05.

Silver Birch Met color but all else is as you describe

Apologies for the confusion, I meant that its the same model as the 04 and I found out because of that thread and then saw the B2E and Z60 codes in the glovebox and put it together. Im a lil slow sometimes.

Still having a bit of trouble finding shocks even knowing this because I cant see anything for the VHO on bilsteins site and the SSS bilstein Shock #'s are different than the 2wd tbar suspended GMC trucks. I have about 5 calls into bilstein but truth be told they are juuuuust a bit lacking in the support area. Nobody can answer this question which I thought would be fairly simple for a major shock provider and they dont return calls.

Guess its like the mother in law - like the cooking but otherwise she sucks. :D

I would just order the shocks for a 2006 SS Silverado then. Since they only came in 2wd form that year.....

I would still like to decode ur vin# some time. That does sound like an odd truck u have up there (u weirdo). LOL!!!! :lol:

:D lol

Agreed. Im gonna order up those shocks and then see what I got when they arrive, compare length and all. valving shouldnt matter since its the same suspension but the SSS trucks appear to sit a bit lower stock than mine does.

thanks for your help, much appreciated and offers a little peace of mind for me. especially having someone agree with me that its weird build. :chevy: