Bser Roll Pan Owners

i'm a bit concerned about what my body shop guy warned me about butting up a roll pan flush to the bed. he said the bed will do alot of twisting doing things like entering and leaving parking lots etc...and if it is butted up it will cause the bed and roll pan to rub and the paint may start to chip off. he suggested maybe leaving a 1/8" gap or less around the pan to prevent this.

Anyone else have any concerns about or experience this?

I installed mine with double sided tape between the roll pan and fenders. The tape is black and my truck is black so it doesn't show up. I was thinking the same thing when I did the install. The truck fenders will shift a little but the rubber tape will act as a barrier between them to keep from rubbing. I have done installs on stepside trucks with a fiberglass roll pan and filled them in and it always cracked. The fenders on a stepside are fiberglass to. The only way to stop this if your rollpan was metal and the part that meets up to it was metal then you could weld it. Just stick the tape between the body and roll pan. Not flush with the body. About a 1/8 of an inch to the inside. Here is a photo of my install. Hope this helpspost-14750-1203879472_thumb.jpg

I installed mine with double sided tape between the roll pan and fenders. The tape is black and my truck is black so it doesn't show up. I was thinking the same thing when I did the install. The truck fenders will shift a little but the rubber tape will act as a barrier between them to keep from rubbing. I have done installs on stepside trucks with a fiberglass roll pan and filled them in and it always cracked. The fenders on a stepside are fiberglass to. The only way to stop this if your rollpan was metal and the part that meets up to it was metal then you could weld it. Just stick the tape between the body and roll pan. Not flush with the body. About a 1/8 of an inch to the inside. Here is a photo of my install. Hope this helpspost-14750-1203879472_thumb.jpg

great idea...thanks

mine was fitted, cause i wanted it to sit perfectly with the rest of the bed.... its pressing against the bed.

i agree that the bed is flexing, but its bolted to the frame rails. so if its flexing, the frame must be flexing. and since the roll pan is held on via the bed, its just gunna flex as a whole. if you really twist the frame, it will slightly move. but thats the nice thing about fiberglass- it will give a little bit.

:withstupid::withstupid::withstupid:

mine was fitted, cause i wanted it to sit perfectly with the rest of the bed.... its pressing against the bed.

i agree that the bed is flexing, but its bolted to the frame rails. so if its flexing, the frame must be flexing. and since the roll pan is held on via the bed, its just gunna flex as a whole. if you really twist the frame, it will slightly move. but thats the nice thing about fiberglass- it will give a little bit.

:withstupid::withstupid:

• 2 weeks later...

the bedsides cannot flex independently, IF the bed moves at all, its going to move as an entire unit. I have rollpans on two of my other trucks, one being on there for 4 years now, and I have never had a problem

the bedsides cannot flex independently, IF the bed moves at all, its going to move as an entire unit. I have rollpans on two of my other trucks, one being on there for 4 years now, and I have never had a problem

So are you saying on both of your trucks you've filled/bonded the roll pans to the rear fenders?

Mr. P. :)