Ipod Install

Rays B4U

I read this on wired.com and was wondering if it's as simple as it sounds? Keep in mind I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT STEREO INSTALLS. I also am running the stock Bose unit with NO XM radio.

============================

Wire Your Car Stereo for an iPod

Driving with your headphones on is dangerous, and those FM adapters blow. Good thing it's easy to install an auxiliary jack that you can plug directly into your MP3 player.

1. Rip it out

Most dash panels attach with screws or clips, so if you can't find screws, try pulling carefully or prying at the sides with a flathead screwdriver. Wrap the tip with tape to avoid scratches.

2. Find aux input

Most aftermarket stereos have RCA jacks — those red and white female connectors — at the back for hooking up extra audio sources. Some factory-installed ones have 'em for a CD changer or satellite radio input. For some models you might need a special adapter, but it's gettable (Internet!).

3. Install a cable

Ask the guys at RadioShack for a Y cable. This will connect those RCA jacks to your iPod's 3.5-mm stereo jack.

4. Find your spot

Plug the cable into the RCA jacks and snake the plug to a convenient location — like inside the glove box or popping up from center console. (Be sure to leave some slack.) Don't drill any holes if you ever want to sell the car.

5. Put it back

Replace the dash panel. Be careful not to crimp the new wires.

I'm no expert, but I don't recall our stock stereo having any inputs on the back. That is if you are talking about the stock stereo. Plus, if it were that easy and the sound quality was great, I would think everyone would have done it by now. I have an iPod hard wired into my Alpine which resides in my glove box. I control it via the head unit and it's out of sight. If you don't want to get into a new head unit, I can understand because that's where I was at before I upgraded. I'll tell you now that I'm glad I did. Some Alpines aren't that expensive and even come iPod ready now a days.

I'm no expert, but I don't recall our stock stereo having any inputs on the back. That is if you are talking about the stock stereo. Plus, if it were that easy and the sound quality was great, I would think everyone would have done it by now. I have an iPod hard wired into my Alpine which resides in my glove box. I control it via the head unit and it's out of sight. If you don't want to get into a new head unit, I can understand because that's where I was at before I upgraded. I'll tell you now that I'm glad I did. Some Alpines aren't that expensive and even come iPod ready now a days.

yeah that kinda where im at right now i want to upgrade but i dont want a regular single headunit and if i got a daul din for the dash my truck might get broken in to here where i live and then i would have to worry anout where im parked and everything lik that. im gonna be doing my subs pretty soon and im just gonna get a good EQ and then connect my i-pod threw that, my friend has his setup this way in his escalade...

-Rob

I don't want to add an aftermarket stereo for thievery reasons. In #2 of the procedure listed they mention:

"Find aux input

Most aftermarket stereos have RCA jacks — those red and white female connectors — at the back for hooking up extra audio sources. Some factory-installed ones have 'em for a CD changer or satellite radio input. For some models you might need a special adapter, but it's gettable (Internet!)."

I don't have XM but my radio is XM Ready so I thought there might be an input jack for it that could be used like they say, I've never had my headunit out so I don't know.

???

I don't want to add an aftermarket stereo for thievery reasons. In #2 of the procedure listed they mention:

"Find aux input

Most aftermarket stereos have RCA jacks — those red and white female connectors — at the back for hooking up extra audio sources. Some factory-installed ones have 'em for a CD changer or satellite radio input. For some models you might need a special adapter, but it's gettable (Internet!)."

I don't have XM but my radio is XM Ready so I thought there might be an input jack for it that could be used like they say, I've never had my headunit out so I don't know.

???

well XM was an option on our trucks so i think it being XM ready doesnt mean it has jacks in the back i think when u get XM u'l just catch the signal with the onstar antenna :dunno: but if this is the case i might just have to hook-up my i-pod by itself before i get my subs and amps put in....

-Rob

Edited by BlkSSnCpt (see edit history)

I read this on wired.com and was wondering if it's as simple as it sounds? Keep in mind I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT STEREO INSTALLS. I also am running the stock Bose unit with NO XM radio.

============================

Wire Your Car Stereo for an iPod

Driving with your headphones on is dangerous, and those FM adapters blow. Good thing it's easy to install an auxiliary jack that you can plug directly into your MP3 player.

1. Rip it out

Most dash panels attach with screws or clips, so if you can't find screws, try pulling carefully or prying at the sides with a flathead screwdriver. Wrap the tip with tape to avoid scratches.

2. Find aux input

Most aftermarket stereos have RCA jacks — those red and white female connectors — at the back for hooking up extra audio sources. Some factory-installed ones have 'em for a CD changer or satellite radio input. For some models you might need a special adapter, but it's gettable (Internet!).

3. Install a cable

Ask the guys at RadioShack for a Y cable. This will connect those RCA jacks to your iPod's 3.5-mm stereo jack.

4. Find your spot

Plug the cable into the RCA jacks and snake the plug to a convenient location — like inside the glove box or popping up from center console. (Be sure to leave some slack.) Don't drill any holes if you ever want to sell the car.

5. Put it back

Replace the dash panel. Be careful not to crimp the new wires.

Just stop by your local audio shop tell them what you want. There is a adaptor to hook up an I pod to your deck that will charge it also. The part number will very on the brand they carry. One of them is a GMIS73 made by peripheral it works pretty well.

It works- my friend did it with his zune. Its pretty simple if you think about it, the mp3 player itself is just playing through headphones as far as it thinks. You can do it for cars with factory radios that have satellite radio I think, you just have to find the right wires...

It works- my friend did it with his zune. Its pretty simple if you think about it, the mp3 player itself is just playing through headphones as far as it thinks. You can do it for cars with factory radios that have satellite radio I think, you just have to find the right wires...

Fast4Popper can get you guys the aux input you need for really cheap. I have my ipod hooked up. I also have a screen and remote mount dvd hooked up with sound through the factory radio. It's a simple install! Anyone can do it. Send him a PM

another way to go is with the USAspec iPod adapter. it comes with a harness for the back of the radio. that plugs into the usaspec module and then another cable plugs into the dock jack on the bottom of the iPod. it will charge and display the iPod info on the factory stereo.

my older version doesn't charge or display, it plugs into the headphone jack but still sounds great. soooo much better than an RF filter.

I forget the part number, but just search the name and it's easy to find.

• 3 weeks later...
Fast4Popper can get you guys the aux input you need for really cheap. I have my ipod hooked up. I also have a screen and remote mount dvd hooked up with sound through the factory radio. It's a simple install! Anyone can do it. Send him a PM

UPS just delivered the kit that Fast4Popper sent me, thanks Chris! I'll TRY the install this weekend!

Edited by Rays B4U (see edit history)

GOT-R-DONE.....AND IT WORKS!!!

Hardest part was getting the stereo, cables & adapter moved just right to fit back into the dash. Install took me about an hour. I had told Chris about my lack of stereo installation experience and he said "real simple, so simple even a cave man can do it"! Well, I'm "old" and the Caveman" part fits me to a "T" and it was as he said! Thanks Chris! :thumbs: :thumbs: