SS exhaust to a Z71 W\5.3 ?

therock

Hi SS Folks,

I do not own one and wish I could but I hunt and have to go places thet I just would not want to take the SS. That is the only reason there is not one in my drivway. So I play with my Z71.

My qusetion here is, has anyone noted the difference between the 5.3 and SS 6.0's exhaust setup from the manifolds back?

I have 24 hr test rode an SS and like the low in cab noise and added flow of the SS system. I would like to duplicate it on my Z71.

Do you guys think the SS muffler really flows better than my OE? I kind of feel if I don't get the SS CAT's I will not get the SS flow.

ac

Cats are exactly the same as yours. Instead of a Y pipe, they just took it dual into the muffler. Muffler probably flows better than your Z71, but its not great. Sound is improved though.

Do do the swap, you'll need the pipes from the manifolds back.

I don't think it is a matter of the SS muffler. I think it is the fact they we have true dual all the way to the muffler. Your setup has two cats, but then goes down to a single pipe before the muffler. Our muffler, although it appears to be dual-in/dual-out, actually has one side blocked internal to the muffler on the discharge side, but I am sure our exhaust flow is better just because of your y-pipe.

the difference between the exhaust on the SS and a Z71 is almost not worth the swap even if it were free. i believe the SS has larger cats and bigger piping, but other than that, it's about it's only gain. you'd be way better off staying with your front section and adding a quiet cat back.

the difference between the exhaust on the SS and a Z71 is almost not worth the swap even if it were free. i believe the SS has larger cats and bigger piping, but other than that, it's about it's only gain. you'd be way better off staying with your front section and adding a quiet cat back.

The SS has the exact same cats as the 4.8 / 5.3 trucks. The front pipes are virtually identical, having the same 2.5" pipe with the same bends. Even the drivers side crossover pipe has the same flattened area where it passes by the transmission. The only difference at this point is the pipes dont merge into a single Y collector, but stay seperate and connect to dual 2.75" pipes back to the muffler. I'm sure that the front header / cat pipes were made off the same jig as all the other trucks.

Here is what I did on my pervious Z71 to improve the stock Y pipe:

Normally, the exhaust merges into a single 2.75" pipe to the stock muffler. I cut off part of the collector on the stock Y, and replaced it with a 3" flange. Then ran a true 3" pipe back to the muffler. I was using an aftermarket 3" in muffler, so it was able to take advantage of the increased pipe diameter.

(This pic shows the 3" pipe installed, but I hadn't put the flange on yet)

ypipe.jpg

Archived