Gm Changes Computers To Log Flashes-deny Warranty

detjoe

http://www.theturboforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105403.0

I read this and was wondering what you guys think??? How I understand it is there will be a log when the computer is flashed and if you go for warranty then they can see your computer has had someone playing with it. I think you still might be able to tune these but your warranty is out the window. I think it has good and bad.

good: chances that some rookie tuner(s) mess you junk up learning will go down

bad: the LSx has IMO been such a great platform because of user changes in the program. now w/o tuning it kind of feels like a dodge :( .

But I am not too worried b/c this is still a year out. I think it started with all the TBSS guy blowing engines and transmissions

:cheers:

well you have to figure they were bound to catch on to it sometime.

but i think its coming more from the diesels since there tuners are the most agrressive. i know even with a tuner on a duramax and your allison will hate you.

while our handhelds add only like 5 hp its not going to kill your engine. but the actual tunes will add a bit more power.but nothing compared to diesels.

Just have an extra pcm and don't touch the original.

If you are worried at all about your factory warranty then keep your original PCM and swap it in before taking the vehicle in for warranty work.

I DISAGREE COMPLETELY with the idea of making the PCM automatically lock itself out after 10-tunes; a lot of us buy cars specifically to compete; I can see the factory protecting their interests by enforcing that you don't mess with their tune (hell EFILive and HPTuner guys do it, so why not the factory?) but having the hardware render itself a useless paperweight after a few updates is bs. :icon_bs:

There are two ways this can go - in the future all tuned vehicles will require you to go piggy-back with a Motec (or similar) or them damned hackers will again show their creativity and put to market a tuning solution using the existing PCM. Either way this change by GM will weed-out the men from the boys in the tuner business.

Mr. P.

If you are worried at all about your factory warranty then keep your original PCM and swap it in before taking the vehicle in for warranty work.

Mr. P.

Wouldn't your original PCM log mileage or time's?

Eg..

- Take out original say at 30,000 miles and installed Tuned PCM.

- Say Tranny Failed at 50,000 + the additional hours of runtime. (Still have warranty, Time to go to the dealer).

Mileage difference of 20,000 and whatever in hours.

Would the original PCM reflect a difference or again does it even store that information somewhere?

Wouldn't your original PCM log mileage or time's?

Eg..

- Take out original say at 30,000 miles and installed Tuned PCM.

- Say Tranny Failed at 50,000 + the additional hours of runtime. (Still have warranty, Time to go to the dealer).

Mileage difference of 20,000 and whatever in hours.

Would the original PCM reflect a difference or again does it even store that information somewhere?

That information is stored in either the guage cluster itself, or in the BCM :confused: but either way it isn't stored in the PCM.

Mr. P. :)