Dealer Flashed My Pcm On Me

RockHead

I took the SS over to the Dealer on Tuesday for a warranty work (to fix the Headed seats). The dealer also found a lil tranns leak . When I pick up the Truck and I drove it down the street the truck was running like Sh#t ( the dealer flashed my PCM on me). So I go to JD’s Performance to get the tranns leak fixed but the truck was still running bad . I go over to krambo (Kevin) place and did a retune on the PCM . It look like it took the retune and went to do some logs, It looked good ……… So I go home and I was around 2 miles from Kevin House and the Truck Goes into LIP MOD . So I went to Kevin’s 20 MPH wow that fast LOL :devil: When we did a retune it did not take it . It said Imperatival Operation System and it failed . So we had to do a rewrite of the PCM . If the rewrite did not go good it would have KILLED the PCM . But it did not so it went good , very happy . Did anyone see that before ?

Mark

Edited by RockHead (see edit history)

damn dealers :mad: I don't know Mark, it seems like the both of us have had sh*t luck lately when it comes down to it. Glad to hear that everything is okay now. :chevy:

I know how you feel Brother :uhoh: we will have luck on Sun in the 13's :cheers::cheers:

damn i hope this doesnt happen to me..b/c im still waiting to have my new clusters installed by the dealer...I will be super pissed!!

Tim all you have to do is take your stock tune in put it in for the time your SS Gose into the Dealer . Time you have it Home you can put the Performance tune back in ......... I have one PCM ......... Soon I will have two going to order one

I know dealers do this kinda stuff alot from what i have gathered here. What im curious about is, why are they doing work that you didnt give them permision to do? Or is there somthing in the fine print when you drop your truck off. I just havnt been down that road so im kinda curious.

I will elaborate a bit on what I saw (hope some very experienced tuners chime in... .justin., zippy, Wheatly etc).

Mark came to me because his truck was running like ass after a trip to the dealer for some warranty work. Alot of dealers scan the PCM and reflash as part of a normal routine around here (not sure elsewhere). I assumed that they just flashed a stock tune file over his performance oriented tune so I read the file using HPT (just for kicks and to add to my library) and saved it to my laptop. I proceeded to "write calibration only" a different file that has already been in his PCM from last time (before going to the dealer). This write took longer to complete than normal (over 1min 30 sec. vs. a typical 30 seconds). We took it out for a good logging session. The truck ran well according to the logs. I noticed that his observed spark advance was much higher, shift points were where I set them last time, fans kicked on at the temp I specified etc. So we shook hands and Mark left. He called me no less than 1 minute after leaving stating his truck is in REP and can't go over 20MPH! :wtf:

So Mark limps back and I read his file again and compare it to the file I uploaded (the file that has been in his truck without issues). Some tables are different, some cells are different, some deleted codes are now activated and many of the settings do not make sense! I then proceed to do a compare of the newest read and the initial read I did when he first came over. THOSE two files were different! WTF, I now have 3 different files and only did one flash. So I then proceeded to "write calibration only" the file that I originally flashed. Now the tune will not flash and I immediately get an OS not compatible error. Tried again, it began the reflash process and about 5 seconds into it, it stops and I get that OS not compatible error.

So now, we go back inside to charge the lap top and figure out what is going on. I look in detail the first read of his PCM and can't believe that a dealership flashed this in. The injector flow values were not correct (30#'s), the HI octane table had transitions in it of up to 20* throughout (looked like a Christmas tree on the 3D graph), the commanded AFR was in the single digits in Pe and alot more "strange issues". I did notice that some tables were exactly the ones I had in the file I flashed such as zero TM, shift points and the LO octane table.

I figured that the dealer reflashed his PCM with a different OS than the one I was using (causing all of these issues and that error message) so I proceeded to erase Mark's entire PCM and reflash everything using "write entire". That process took about 6 minutes making me a bit concerned that Mark was going to have to spend the night :lol: Well it took, we went out for some test logs and all looked fantastic.

Mark has been trouble free for a few days now so I am assuming all is fine. So who thinks Mark may have a corrupt PCM? Who thinks I have a corrupt HPT program? I don't know, but feel the dealer just flashed an incorrect file using a different OS and for some reason, my initial flash over the PCM corrupted the file causing some tables to retain their identity, some to change completely and some to have a mix of both. My question to the pro's: Is this even possible??? :uhoh:

BTW Mark, I am going to move this to the tuning section...

It is standard operating procedure to upload the latest flash program on every vehicle in GM dealerships even if the vehicle is just in for an oil change. BUT at the GMC dealer I used to work at we only reflashed the PCM to correct problems. The shop supervisor did not want customers to come back complaining that their truck shifted different or that SOMETHING had changed after it was in for service.