2003 Ss Transmission Issues...

I bought my truck with 14,500 miles about 2 years ago. I flew out to Ohio and bought it from someone who had it listed on ebay (maybe someone on here knows who owned it?) When I bought it there were dynatech headers, magnaflow cats/exhaust, volant CAI and a granatelli maf. It currently has 68k miles.

The truck shudders/slips from first to second gear at 1/2 or more throttle. It is more pronounced going up a hill. It has done this since the day I bought it. I had jiffy lube flush the transmission with no results.

What do you suggest to do to the transmission to solve the shudder/slip? Would a shift kit and a tune possibly solve the issue? Could the volant or maf cause the shudder? Do you think I need to have the transmission worked on? I want to keep the truck so I want to make the transmission solid.

I live in Northern Virginia and would love if someone knew of an experienced person local to me that could do a shift kit installation, tuning as well as the transmission swap if needed.

On a side note... the truck when run on anything but 93 and on warmer days (today was the first day for 10+ months) will throw a lean code from the engine. I think a tune will fix this?

I have seen many SSS in this area... Anyone from around here?

Thanks for any help!!

it only does it from first to second at 1/2 or maybe even more like 3/4 to WOT... could something else make a shudder that I should be checking? This is my first truck, automatic and 4wd... so I am looking for any guidance...

I had the dealer fix the speedometer (just made it before 70k) and i asked him to check it out... he said that it definately needed to be taken to the transmission guy to look at but I am not so convinced...

change my transfer case fluid? help?

could be a variety of things man..

I would just take it to a shop and have them check it over, they should be able to plug and play with it.. tell you within minutes whats up.

my 03 5.3L was doing the same thing.. burnt clutch packs had to have it rebuilt. not saying thats ur issue.. just a possibility.

Sounds to me like a cracked accumulator piston or some other valve body problem......I would take it to a trans shop and have it checked. If you do need to pull the trans, consider a shift kit, Vette servo, and alluminum accumulator pistons(not to mention a tune). :chevy:

I'm not so sure it's a cracked piston, those usually work fine at lower speeds/loads, but lose pressure under high load. I would agree that it is another valve body or pressure problem to be more specific. The Trans Go shift kit (not the HD kit specifically, but the HD kit works too) is designed to fix this problem specifically, with new springs and a few larger holes here and there to stabilize and/or raise pressure and cure the stutter shifts (or slam shifts at certain load levels too). I'm sure that the shift kit *could* have helped back when you bought it, but now that it's been doing it for 2 years and that many miles it may be to late. All you can do is try though...

Edited by SS_bnoon_SS (see edit history)

I called a transmission shop that did a van for me a few years back (Cottonman). I talked to the guy, he said that he would drop the pan and at that point it would be obvious if we needed to do major transmission work. If not, he said that he could inspect for damage and install a shift kit for me for $375.00 parts and labor with new fluid and filter.... he also said that it was a TransGo shift kit and that he puts them into every transmission he builds. He also said he was very familiar with this particular transmission...

Sound good?

First, welcome to the forum :thumbs:

Sorry to hear about your truck troubles, I know how it is. :( $275 for a shift kit install is pretty good deal IMO, and I would certainly do that but IMO I'm pretty sure the transmission is going to have to come out and be rebuilt, it sounds like the clutches are smoked for sure. Have you checked the fluid? What color is it? Does the fluid smell nasty/burnt? What temp does the transmission run at?

Mr. P.

Hello Mr P.

I just went outside and checked the fluid. It is clean and red colored. Does not smell burnt to me at all. I was actually surprised at how clean it looked.... I had Jiffy Lube change it about 25k-35k miles ago... I also added a bottle of transmission additive that was supposed to help fix this type of thing... but it did nothing.

My transmission runs at 150 degrees at all times... I think I saw it up to the mark past that once pulling a trailer...

Like I said before... most of these miles have been highway miles... I hope I am not too late...

Thank you guys for your help. I am thrilled to have people who know what the hell they are talking about helping me.

The transmission guy said that my truck has the 2nd gear Corvette servo installed from the factory... I told him from what I have been reading that it is a good upgrade to do... he said that it is in there already... he hasn't seen the truck yet... is he right??

Edited by HuntersSS (see edit history)

Also, regarding tuning... do I just tell the tuner what modifications I have and they, from experience, map the PCM to my mods? Would I be better off having someone dyno tune it?

http://dtmmotorsport.net/index.html - these guys are close to me and have a 4wd dyno... would this be better than having wheatley or zippy tune it?

The transmission guy also said that you couldn't "tune" the transmission very much, is that true?

If the transmission needs internal work, do you recommend I buy and ship a built FLT/? transmission or have the guy at Cottonman do the work??

The transmission guy said that my truck has the 2nd gear Corvette servo installed from the factory... I told him from what I have been reading that it is a good upgrade to do... he said that it is in there already... he hasn't seen the truck yet... is he right??

He is wrong, these trucks do not come with a Vette second gear servo....I just modded my trans and added a Vette second gear servo during the build. They are inexpensive and worth every penny......

Also, regarding tuning... do I just tell the tuner what modifications I have and they, from experience, map the PCM to my mods? Would I be better off having someone dyno tune it?

http://dtmmotorsport.net/index.html - these guys are close to me and have a 4wd dyno... would this be better than having wheatley or zippy tune it?

The transmission guy also said that you couldn't "tune" the transmission very much, is that true?

If the transmission needs internal work, do you recommend I buy and ship a built FLT/? transmission or have the guy at Cottonman do the work??

Yes most mail order tuners can write a tune based on your mods, some also will send you a logging tool to use which will show how your truck runs. Most are good enough to write a great tune without even seeing a log of how a truck runs.

An in person street/dyno tune is ideal, but not accessable to everyone. I am sure some guys here will chime in about that shop you posted a link to......if you feel confident they will do a good job tuning your truck, then go for it. If not, Wheatley or Zippy are only a few clicks of a mouse away.

You can tune on these transmissions more than one would think. Shift points, line pressure, TC lockup, torque management, etc. are all things that can be adjusted.

If your trans needs internal work, you can buy the pieces you want directly from FLT.....having a built trans from FLT installed in your truck can be pricey and more so overkill if you are not running FI or NOS. I bought the parts I needed from FLT and had my trans guy do the install. If you are not pushing a mass amount of HP, all you should really need is a shift kit, Vette second gear servo, and alluminum accumulator pistons.....and if you want to maybe a higher stall TC.

:chevy: