Help Me Find Traction Again

04CHASE

i cant get my truck to hook anymore. i used to be able to cut 1.6x 60fts consistantly with my old motor and less boost , i guess im making qute a bit more power now, im cutting mid 1.7x 60 ft's but spinning through most of first gear.

i think my first problem is my stall is a bit to high. it flashing to well over 4k

1st for traction im thinking of trying some 20 inch centerline wheels with the new nitto 20 275/40/20 drag radials. just getting them to hear up is hard doing an awd burnout isnt exactly getting them hot enough.

2ndthe front end rises alot , so im thinking eiter crank my t bar all the way up or make some mounts for limit straps like the trophy trucks use so the front end cant lift as much

3rd for the rear i can do a few things, go with adjustable shocks to stiffen the heck out of. i can add air bags and completly fill them to get noe sag in the rear on launch, or i can go all out and 4-link it so i get the front end to squat on a launch

any experience with any of this , or any better ideas ?

traction is killing me bad right now.

Chase I was talking with teh guy with the dmax that blew the TCase and he said that our problems lies with the tie rod end links. He fixed that issue by replacing them... I will contact him shortly and see what exactly he did, but from what he said the issues is... The front unloads and shifts the weight to the right. because the front end unloaded, it causes the front right tire to slightly turn left, and therefore the truck pulls oneway... then all the weight gets trasfered to the other wheel which is pointed in the opposite direction of the other and there fore the truck will now pull the other way, this is why we are torque steering like a mofo.

So if we fix the tie rod links to prevent the wheels from turning when the front suspension is unloaded, we will not get torque steer and get better traction.

At 800hp and 1000+tq he doesnt get any torque steer

My first guess would be to manage your weight transfer. Shock, four link, traction bars, does anyone make coil overs for this truck? These are some of the things that the Syclone boys do to manage traction with there all wheel drive. There is always 500lbs of sand trick too. J/K just my 2-cents

yeah but wieght in the bed wont help, its the front thats losing traction , the rear hooks pretty good.

i know there are ways to make a 4 link actually make the front squat while adding downward pressure to the rear. the set up is the just the key point.

rey , find out for me man let me know asap..

Chase, Have you tried rear spring clamps yet? I would think that rear spring clamps and some front limiters (chain / straps) should be a very noticeable improvement.

Having the fronts in a posi format would be a great help as well.

My buddy has a 800/1500+ duramax CCSB and he only uses spring clamps and tie rod sleeves and has hardly any Tq Steer...runs very low 12's.

hmm to bad you cant have a buddy with a dually stand on his brakes while ur hooked to back of him doing a burnout....

Crazy idea but if you stiffen the rear it wont squat as much reducing lift on the front. Prolly throw some helper block in there like guys use for towing to keep their rear from riding low and headlights shining up...

Edited by packjh (see edit history)

hmm to bad you cant have a buddy with a dually stand on his brakes while ur hooked to back of him doing a burnout....

Crazy idea but if you stiffen the rear it wont squat as much reducing lift on the front. Prolly throw some helper block in there like guys use for towing to keep their rear from riding low and headlights shining up...

ive already thought of that , best bet , for least weight added is spring clamps, which can easily be made but if i had some cnc'ed aluminum ones made it owuld look nice . but if not i can fab a couple up , some nice 1.4 thick flat bar, with a couple bolts would do the trick.

Chase I was talking with teh guy with the dmax that blew the TCase and he said that our problems lies with the tie rod end links. He fixed that issue by replacing them... I will contact him shortly and see what exactly he did, but from what he said the issues is... The front unloads and shifts the weight to the right. because the front end unloaded, it causes the front right tire to slightly turn left, and therefore the truck pulls oneway... then all the weight gets trasfered to the other wheel which is pointed in the opposite direction of the other and there fore the truck will now pull the other way, this is why we are torque steering like a mofo.

So if we fix the tie rod links to prevent the wheels from turning when the front suspension is unloaded, we will not get torque steer and get better traction.

At 800hp and 1000+tq he doesnt get any torque steer

This is much needed info!

Need more input (johnny # 5)

This is much needed info!

Need more input (johnny # 5)

im already on it,

im on duramaxdiesels.com and searchign for help .

the problem also lies in the x fer case, when it see slip in the rear it will send all power to the front causing alotta wheel spin.

ppe is the site , they have many products , care to elaborate?

As for the PPE parts that are going to help with traction:

1. Tie Rod Sleeves will help keep the tie rod from bowing on lauches.

2. Pitman/Idler Arm Support Kit will keep the center link from rolling up and down and casuing the front tires to point in at eachother on hard lauches.

You already said you are on duramaxdiesel.com, talk to screen name "Bentley", he is a friend of mine who is all up on these parts and will answer any questions. If you also go to thedieselplace.com, he is on there as screen name "EPB091786". Both sites will have tons of info... As they have these problems really bad when adding power and launching in 4WD.

As for your T-Case issues, maybe you should look into a TBSS Center Diff swap...As the differences in how the case deals with traction loss in the rear, it wont throw all power to the front and cause the insane wheel hop issues you are having! The Carbon Fiber unit in the TBSS center diff actually works like a true limited slip.

I am also currently working with my duramax buddies to solve my near future traction issue...Boosted/Forged TSP 408/L92 Long Block as we speak (Taking a break to run to Summit Racing)

Edited by dozer (see edit history)

do you have any info on the awd tbss x fer case, is it a bolt up ?

I, for the life of me, cannot find where I read all the info before on the TBSS Center Diff, but if you go HERE it will explain everything on how it works, the TBSS center diff is actually a T3 Torsen unit similar to what the Audi R8, RS6, RS4, and TT 3.2 DSG are using, not a chain driven manual transfer case like the Silvy SS. It has a higher HP rating and will have better torque splitting characteristics on boosted lauches! It is a direct bolt-up on the transmission side and is basically the same housing as the Silvy SS so I dont think there will be any issue bolting it in!

Some of the AWD TBSS guys are launching at 10psi with 100 shots of NO2 and not having any traction issues at all...The T3 wont slam all the torque to the front wheels when you spin the rears...