Who's doing the turbo install?

Farmtruc

Hey guys, as much as I like the Radix kit, who's going to do the Turbo kit that is available? I've always like turbos and wondered how it was going to perform on the SS's.

I'm talking about the single turbo pic that was on ls1tech.com.

I bet that system could make an easy 550hp! The kit looks pretty easy to install and I wonder how detuned it is?

I could just imagine how hard it would pull on an AWD truck and a 3000 stall!

anyone? If you're local , I'll put out a badass deal on a tune, just to see how much power (well 1/4 mile times) we can get out of it. (hope i didnt cross the rule there).

so who's up for it?

allen

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

that is the combination motorsports unit. base price is $5000 and includes...stainless headers, ceramic coated tubing,fuel pump , 42lb injectors, heat shields and blow off valve. base turbo is a 62-1 and is cabable of 500hp. you can upgrade to the t-76 and is goog up to 900hp. i think a guy got a few upgrades with the bigger turbo and it was $4800. here is a response on a few questions that they answered.

cmotorsports

Teching In

Hi all. Seth is a little, "swamped" this morning so I'll field some of the questions.

1. Boost is adjustable with the wastegate spring standard. The kit comes with a 5, 7, and 9 pound springs in addition to a set of shims, which allow for fine adjustment. With the addition of manual boost controller, a $70 option, the boost of most kits is adjustable from 5 to 22 psi.

2. The tuning included is a complete PCM tune, which is fueling at both part and WOT changes, spark advance changes, knock parameters changed, etc. in addition to correcting for tire/gear changes etc.

3. The MAF tables are acutally hard limited in the PCM at 511.9gms/sec. The whole MAF table is rescaled in the PCM tuning, mainly because of the position of the MAF after a bend in the pipe. This tends to want to make the air hang to the outside under part throttle and throws off the LTFT's. After days of driving around with a wideband 02 plugged in and logging all stats based on the WB 02 vs. EFI Live/Autotap, the MAF table was rescaled. The truth be known, it was 460gms/sec we saw, not 490 , and that is WAY pushing it for stock pistons, even on 100 octane.

4. The engine oil pressure is fine at 60ish, turbo's don't like pressure that high though. The turbo oil feed fitting has a pressure restrictor in it that regulates the oil pressue down to a level that is more "turbo friendly" at the inlet of the turbo center section.

5. The passenger side uses the stock manifold. After testing of various other kits (LT1 and LS1 cars), we found that it's just not worth the money for the customer unless they have some extra money burning a hole in their pocket the just have to spend. Logging 8 pulls and taking an average with both a stock passenger manifold and a tubular header, we saw an increase of about 4 horsepower at 10psi. Not really worth the $400 is would take to get a passenger side header, plus coating, don't you think?

7. The passenger side front 02 is right behind the passenger manifold in the exhaust flow, the driver's side is 2' behind the turbo in the downpipe. This allows for fine tuning of each bank since you know what the passenger side is doing, you figure out what the driver's side is doing by the change that occurs to the readings as the exit the turbo.

The other two questions (about the exhaust and oil stuff) call Seth, I'm not sure if he knows which model you have.

If you have any more questions for us, ask here or just give us a call. Thanks for all the positive input guys/gals.

Dave

www.fbodytrans.com --home of the strongest 4L60E and 4L80E transmissions

www.cmotorsports.com --the lowest prices on all of your favorite performance parts, from ATI Procharger, Callies, Comp Cams, Nitrous Express, BMR Fabtrication, EX Components, Hotchkis, K&N and so many more....

here's the pic of the turbo:

truck_turbo_side_view.jpg

:eek:

Farmtruc, that is the pic of the 5.3 prototype. The kit for the SS is all Stainless Steal and is a bit over $5k in pricing for the upgraded turbo and the variable controller.

What do you and Joe charge for installing that beast?

I have a copy of the actual kit, but have run out of space on my web site to post it. PM me, if you want to see it and I will email it over.

I didn't realize it was CM that was doing that kit. I will have to check it out when I am out in Vegas later this Month. Ironically I have driven that truck before when it was still NA last year when I was out there to do some dyno tuning for them :) If I remember correctly that is Seth's girlfriends truck. Bet she really enjoys driving it now :)

***ALLEN*** I have found two web sites that have turbo kits for our trucks, they both look like real good products. Although, I have emailed them both and have had zero response!! This could be a great opportunity for some cool h.p. If anyone hears any details about any of the kits I would love to know also. I really liked the turbo set up that was on my Buick!! The sites are **ststurbo.com and cmotorsports.com** Check them out, they look like some good stuff!

I love this place :D

I think a turbo would be cool

The kit is not as together as the radix IMO

or not yet...PCM-does seth have pictures? There has been talk of these but where is the guy driving one? :confused:

I still have not decided what to get but some thing is getting put on top of my motor :devil:

I gave seth a call and he's very knowledgeable with turbos , he answered all my questions. The base kit comes with a smaller turbo and is recommend for the 4.8/5.3 engines; he doesn't recommend it for the 6L engines. He said they feel very active during low and mid rpm driving and acutally kind of level out when you start pushing it.

The t70 and t76 were the ones he recommend for the SS's.

He has the t70 on his 5.3L and at 2600 rpm he's got 550tq available :eek: and that's at 8psi. edited: also this is on a completely stock 5.3 engine, the only thing non stock is the dynomax(i believe thats the brand) muffler, oh and the turbo of course :P

Also, his answer to what type of exhaust works well on a turbo fell right in line with what all the books I've read say. Basically, the most free flowing exhaust is the best. The back pressure idea doesn't apply to turbo chargers.

later,

allen

Archived