Questions On Stock Awd Ss 4.10 Rear End

04CHASE

whats the code for it ?

is it a posi? does it lock up easily and does the it have lock up clutches?

is there any reason one tire would spin more than another on a high hp hard launch or doing an awd burnout?

you wouldnt happen to be doing anything like that would you..... :lol: ?

its a posi, limited slip i believe. its the 8.5" eaton posi. and i think the order code was G80. however, it wasnt an option and all the AWD SS trucks should have them. IMO its normal for one tire to be going a little more, especially with alot of HP and at a high RPM. i know the RWD truck rear ends, and i have the 9.5" eaton "locking diff" but ever since i broke like 420whp i cant remember it actually locking under a high rpm launch, especially a burnout. the clutches just dont lock fast enough and once im past the rpm difference needed to lock its too late. dunno if thats the case with the 8.5", but the 14bolt really sucks when it comes to alot of power and great tires

Is it an 8.5 or 8.625? I know GM switched to the 8.625 in the S10s mid-year in 1999. I'm not sure if they did the same with the fullsize trucks. Only reason I mention it, is the carrier bearings are different between the 2 axles and it could have an impact if you are looking to replace the locker in the rear.

Here is a thread from the old ZR2 board I used to frequent. It may or may not be of any use to you. Axle differences thread

whats the code for it ?

is it a posi? does it lock up easily and does the it have lock up clutches?

is there any reason one tire would spin more than another on a high hp hard launch or doing an awd burnout?

my right front always spins more the the left side, there is always more wubber on my passenger door. its normal for this with awd.

well just thinking out loud but if the transfer case saw less sliiping from the rear( one tire spining) it would stop it from sending so much more power to the front causing the front to spin, so im getting is there a better locker for the rear available?

Prescription:

Replace G80 POS with Detroit Tru-Track differential ($450)

Replace stock cover with either T/A Perf or LPW girdle/support cover ($160-180)

Replace stock bearing cap bolts with ARP stud kit ($20-25)

Mr. P.

The Tru-Track is a fast-acting spool, it has no friction elements in it; it's either locked-up or open. It works well in our applications. And you're certainly not going to break it.

Edited by Mr. P. (see edit history)

Prescription:

Mr. P.

The Tru-Track is a fast-acting spool, it has no friction elements in it; it's either locked-up or open. It works well in our applications. And you're certainly not going to break it.

Steve, you read my mind. :chevy:

Prescription:

Mr. P.

I think chase already has a diff cover with stud kit,I think he posted pics of the install a while back.

yeah i have the girdle and stud kit. so im going to find a good deal on the new rear and see how that helps.

anyone know some good places to get the detroit?

any opionons on the eaton posi lsd?

they even offer an e locker.

Edited by 04CHASE (see edit history)

well the only differenc basically comes down to the eaton uses clutches the detroit uses gears. the detraoit is also a bit cheaper so i might go with that.

what is the going reat of install on these things?

ya thats why i hate them lol. all the moving parts and stupid clutches fail all the time. plus they dont work near as quickly or effectively as the tru-trac. not to mention mine always locks up in u-turns but never when its supposed to :wtf: install isnt too bad

yeah i have the girdle and stud kit. so im going to find a good deal on the new rear and see how that helps.

You can try Reider Racing. From what I've heard their techs are very helpful and seam to know what they are talking about. Reider Racing Website

I just ordered one for myself off scummit racing for $410 - http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.a...mp;autoview=sku

Mr. P. :)

p.s. - the difference between the Eaton and the Tru-Trak is that the locker is either "on" or "off" and the LSD ramps up or down it's posi action through clutching. I think JonMalibuSS used a Eaton LSD in his truck with 800-lb preload. So with the LSD you will get some "locking" and both tires delivering driving effort to the road through the rear diff clutches while in high-speed cornering, on the contrary with the TruTrac when in any kind of corner at all the diff is open. On a circle track the LSD would help you win races big time, but the TruTrac would not as the vehicle is usually peg-legged in a tight corner; but at the strip the TruTrac rules because it is far stronger, reacts instantly, and locks solid on launch.

Edited by Mr. P. (see edit history)