Joining The Dead Trans. Club

I had the trans. flushed just over a week ago, and its been slightly slipping since. i took it to the dealership this morning and sure enough they told me they are going to have to pull it. I've got a little over 58k on it, and i knew it was coming sooner or later. thank god i sprung for the extended warranty when i bought the truck. at least i caught it before it caused me too many problems. :sigh:

I had the trans. flushed just over a week ago, and its been slightly slipping since. i took it to the dealership this morning and sure enough they told me they are going to have to pull it. I've got a little over 58k on it, and i knew it was coming sooner or later. thank god i sprung for the extended warranty when i bought the truck. at least i caught it before it caused me too many problems. :sigh:

Sorry to hear the trans is going, glad to hear you got the warranty. GM really needs to do something about this. A trans needs to last over 100K miles easy.

is it the TM thats killin these tranny's ? all of our trans should come with a shift kit & zero TM. the trans will last longer this way.

actually having no tq management will not help longevity , tq management reduces power so the trans doesent have all the strain when it shifts. so a shift kit which helps the trans shift faster and spend less time slipping from gear to gear, some tq management will cause it to take longer to shift but also the more power you put to a trans while shifting hurts too.

is it the TM thats killin these tranny's ? all of our trans should come with a shift kit & zero TM. the trans will last longer this way.

I agree with what Chase said, but add this... Our trucks shouldn't have come with a worked over 700R4 trans that has been to weak for passenger car use (let alone performance truck use) since it's introduction in '82. Our trucks should have had the 4l80E from the factory.

• 2 weeks later...

heres an update on my transmission issues.....

they are replacing it completely under the warranty, i should have it when i come back from maneuvers, all i have to pay is $100 deductible. Now to start looking into that shift kit.....

I agree with what Chase said, but add this... Our trucks shouldn't have come with a worked over 700R4 trans that has been to weak for passenger car use (let alone performance truck use) since it's introduction in '82. Our trucks should have had the 4l80E from the factory.

The 4L80E is nothing more than a TH400 worked over to add an overdrive which has been around for years. I'd take the 65E in an SSS over an 80E anyday. The 80E's still fail and to top it off ruin the fuel milage and performance. At work we replace or rebuild almost as many 80/85E's as we do 60/65/70E's.

got the truck back finally! :D feels good. any tips on breaking it properly or anything from you guys that know way too much about this kind of stuff? thanks.