Dead Spot On Accelerator

destey

I've got the accelerator sensor instead of the cable on a 5spd, does anyone else experience this:

1. Pedal travels 1/5 of the way before the motor responds, then its slugish until about 2/5. Then the entire engine power adjustment is in the next tiny bit.

2. If I hit bumps, i bounce up and down in the seat pushing the accelerator up and down, bucking the vehicle. I've never owned an automatic vehicle, so I've "been around the block" with shifting...

Is it clogged injectors, or is this just how GM made these things? If that's the case, how can I fix it, its driving me nuts!

Thx!

The throttle is electronic I believe, and the pedal/controller are one entire assembly.....there is a good chance that it may have to be replaced. :chevy:

I did a search and it seems quite a few people experience something similar. Would this be a good check: backprobe the connector and see if the voltage or resistance response is linear?

the pedal acts like a rheostat don't know if the connection inside can be cleaned. as for the bouncing, if you remove the pedal assembly, look behind it and there is a spring that holds the pedal up. you can remove that spring and replace it with a little stiffer one. you don't need much to correct the ease in which the pedal moves..

:seeya:

try cleaning ur throttle body... i get similar problems with customers almost every day, a can of good brake clean and a soft brush. just try not to use too much cleaner and wipe off the residue when you r done not positive if this is ur problem but it may be... good luck with ur truck

There was some gunk in the throttle body, but after it was cleaned out the problem continues.

Anyone have ohm or voltage numbers on what the accelerator position sensor should be spitting out. My haynes manual just says to take it to a dealer or certified repair shop for this problem (they tell you how to rebuild the motor, but probing a sensor is something for a shop :rolleyes: )

Is anyone thinking it could be the injectors?

Thanks for replying,

Derek